FORUMS: list search recent posts

NURBS texturing.. how is this possible ?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Teasider
NURBS texturing.. how is this possible ?
on Feb 26, 2006 at 10:57:12 pm

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could explain to me , or even direct me to a tutorial about texturing nurbs.
Ive made a few models but I dont know how to texture them. (I guess its really NOT like texturing polys.. heh )

Thanks in advance !

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: NURBS texturing.. how is this possible ?
on Feb 27, 2006 at 2:04:32 am

Texturing NURBS has one major difference from texturing polys: you skip the UV step. NURBS surfaces are all inherently square, and therefore they have inherent parameterization. The U direction of the surface and the V direction of the surface provide a ready-made set of coordinates with which to apply a texture.

So, you can go ahead and apply 2D textures--including file textures--to your NURBS surfaces as soon as you create them; you don't have to do any UV mapping first, as you do when texturing polys. Of course, it's not all fun and games... texturing NURBS has its share of drawbacks and frustrations.

To experiment, try creating a 'four corner' ramp texture and applying it to various NURBS surfaces. You'll see how the NURBS structure makes the texture flow.

Of course, 3D textures--including projections--work the same for NURBS and poly surfaces.

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]