FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow regarding curves

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mYthprod
Workflow regarding curves
on Feb 20, 2006 at 11:32:27 pm

This is more of a curiosity question. I'm just finishing (I hope) my robotic arm animation and started grouping my curves under a generic group node in case I needed them again. I just wondered if anyone else did something like this or how you organized things you thought you may need later.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Workflow regarding curves
on Feb 21, 2006 at 4:44:51 am

That works for me. Group 'em, hide 'em, forget about 'em.

If you want to toggle back and forth, you could also put them on their own layer. I often have a layer called 'Construction' or similar which contains my bits of gone-but-not-forgotten history. That way they're quick to Template or Reference too.

Good thing to ask, though. What do other people do?

-Steve

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Feb 21, 2006 at 7:27:49 pm

I do the same, and you'd be surprised how many left over "history" nodes need to stick around in a scene after you build and rig an entire articulated character. Its pretty crazy, and a bit annoying. I wish to god Maya had a subnetting structure like Houdini has so you could package all that stuff up and keep it around but not visible/accessible easily.

I try to keep my entire rig under one group node named, simpley, the name of the character. Then under that will be group sections for geometry, skeleton, controls, history_do_not_touch, and misc. Keeps things very organized and also makes organizing layers much easier because you keep all your elements separate, so you don't have one layer accidentally turning off other stuff because they happen to be in the same hierarchy. Looks kinda like this in the outliner:

-my_character
-geometry
-skeleton
-controls
-history_do_not_touch
-misc

I then package and clean this rig file up, get rid of all lights and unused shaders, objects, cameras, etc., and save the scene named, simpley, the character name. Finally, when I start animating shots this character rig file is referenced into any new shots. Keeps the shot size down and manageble, and also if I need to augment the rig in anyway or change materials/textures, I can change them in one rig file and have that propegate to any number of shots that are already animated using the reference.

I'm real big on scene organization and modularity.

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Feb 25, 2006 at 6:08:52 am

Good ideas on the use of the layers and organization of the hierarchy. I like keeping history around unless the scene starts to bog down but I kept screwing up my chain by groups the curves with history and being frustrated ended up deleting history to get everything clean again.

I'm going to use a layer from now on for my curves and also I like how you have your character organized.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]