FORUMS: list search recent posts

Robot and parenting

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcow
mYthprod
Robot and parenting
on Feb 16, 2006 at 9:38:15 pm

I've built a robotic arm with a lot of joints and lots of parenting. when I rotate the elbow joint the arm follows suit and everything acts like it should. One joint in particular is giving me problems so that when I rotate it the image is skewing and stretching instead of rigidly rotating like it should. It looks like the parenting is right so I'm having a hard time figuring out why this one joint is giving me problems. All of the history is deleted and the pivot point looks to be in the right place.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Robot and parenting
on Feb 16, 2006 at 10:06:01 pm

[mYthprod] "...when I rotate it the image is skewing and stretching..."

The image? You mean the texture on the surface? My first guess would be that you have used a projection to map a texture onto the surface. There are two solutions: first, convert the texture into a file, so that projection is not necessary. Second, parent the projection node into the hierarchy along with the surface, so that they move together.

-Steve

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Feb 16, 2006 at 10:10:16 pm

Sorry, not texturing. By image I meant the viewport, the actual geometry is skewing when I rotate this parent node. This is the only node that's giving me problems (and it's in the middle of the chain), the ones above and below are rigidly rotating as expected. :-(

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Feb 16, 2006 at 11:17:11 pm

Oh, I see. Hmm. Do your objects have 'Inherit transform' checked? Do your joints have 'Inherit transform' and 'Segment Scale Compensate' checked? Are you sure you haven't accidentally bound or constrained the object as well as parenting it?

Does just the object skew, or does the joint skew as well?

You could post a screenshot of the problem and your hierarchy, but I have this nagging feeling that there's an obvious answer I'm overlooking, and someone will post it two minutes after I post this. ;)

-Steve

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Feb 16, 2006 at 11:36:04 pm

Yeah, the inherit transform is checked for parent node that is being rotated. Right now I have rotate x tied to a master adjuster but rotating the other two directions yields same result. ie. when I rotate z the top of the geometry seems to get taller and skinnier as if the top of the geometry is going toward something out in space. I did a delete by type constraints just to be sure but that didn't help. I'm thinking this is an easy one too but it's stumped me so far. There are a lot of parent nodes I'm dealing with so maybe one of them is messed up.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Feb 16, 2006 at 11:41:18 pm

Correction, it's only on the x and Z axis this happens. Rotating on the Y axis seems to rotate like it should.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Feb 17, 2006 at 11:44:31 pm

Try selecting your geometry and freezing transforms on them. A lot of times if you have something non-uniformly scaled and you parented for some reason the transformation matrix compensates for the mismatch in scaling between the child and parent by skewing the child. Freeze Transforms should fix that problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]