FORUMS: list search recent posts

importing CAD drawings into maya

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sbparke
importing CAD drawings into maya
on Feb 9, 2006 at 5:00:39 pm

I need to take a CAD drawing, bring it into maya and create a 3d model of it. I know nothing about CAD and i've never tried anything like this, but it seems its possible to import CAD drawings into maya. is this so? If so how? I have maya 7, is there any specific kind of CAD file I'd need? Also, if i understand right, CAD drawings are just 2d drawings right? So what would I see when I bring the cad file into maya? I'm guessing I'll see flat outlines that I just use as reference to model the object?

thanks for any info

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
Re: importing CAD drawings into maya
on Feb 9, 2006 at 5:34:36 pm

CAD is computer aided design. AutoCAD for instance is used primarly for developing drafted drawings for wide format printing but it is also used for manufacturing 3D models etc.

the file you import could be flat as in lying face down on your Y or Z axis or it could have shapes that have differing depth values and also it could have polygon faces as you can build 3D objects in CAD as well.

The import from CAD to Maya still blows though as it converts all filleted and chamfered corners to degree 1 curves that have way way too many knots along them. in MAX if you import a dwg file for instance, fillets have 3 bezier knots to describe a curve which is ideal. If at all possible import to MAX first and clean up the shapes then export to AI from MAX and import that AI file into Maya.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

cow
Chad Briggs
on Feb 9, 2006 at 6:07:45 pm

maya will import dxf, iges, and dwg files, which are very common cad formats. whoever you get your cad file from should be able to supply you with one of those, and it will come in as curves most likely, sometimes nurbs patches. (i think dxf handles polys too)
-chad

Return to posts index

Emmelai
on Feb 17, 2006 at 4:02:46 pm

I work for a golf course design company and we are also trying to figure out how to import .dxf into Maya. I can pull it in, but then it is very hard to actually see something since the file is so big. Any sugestions for plane clipping/field of view settings? How would we also be able to import these files as NURBS patches?

Thank you so much!

Emily
Graphic Artist
Maya, Shake, Motion User

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]