FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya or 3ds Max for After Effects eye candy?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Galactus
Maya or 3ds Max for After Effects eye candy?
on Feb 7, 2006 at 6:23:20 pm

Hi,
I need to sign up for a class, and was hoping for some guidance. We use After Effects here at Adobe (big shocker), but never really do any 3d effects work. I have the opportunity to start delving into this, but will mainly use 3d for:

- Visual effects... eye candy
- mapping video onto 3-d objects
- 3d environments, such as an office or a street sign

We won't be doing stuff like character animation. Maya is expensive, and was wondering if 3ds Max will give me similar 3d eye candy (think glows, swooshes, speed lines, etc).

Thanks!
Matt

Return to posts index

Ben Insler
Re: Maya or 3ds Max for After Effects eye candy?
on Feb 7, 2006 at 9:21:20 pm

Yes, 3DS will work. In fact (if it helps you visualize your final production), a lot of sports graphics, including most football graphics, are made with 3DS.

However, Autodesk (The company that owns 3DS) just bought Alias (the company that makes MAYA), so who knows what's going to evolve now???

Best,

Ben

Ben Insler

Editor

Telemark Films

Return to posts index

Galactus
on Feb 7, 2006 at 9:38:52 pm

Great, thanks for the reply. I guess it couldn't hurt to take a 3ds course, as I am sure the fundamentals would apply to both programs.

Matt

Return to posts index

cowcow
Jason Brummett
on Feb 8, 2006 at 1:45:18 am

I'm a veteran MAX user and switched to Maya 5 years ago but still use MAX at work now and then. Mainly for shape generation, text etc. I hate to admit it but coming from Adobe, MAX will be much easier to get a handle on as linework is traditional Bspline. However I feel that Maya is a better package in the long run.

That said I am biased but wanted to point out a misconception I read/hear quite often.

>>Maya is expensive

No Maya complete which is incredibly robust is a whole $1500 cheaper than MAX.

I don't know the exact going price but it's close to this

MAX $3,500

Maya Complete 1,999

and Maya Unlimited 7g's. Which I use but only use the unlimited portion every once in a great while.

Paint Effects which I use for glows in Mtngfx all the time is worth the price of admission alone...

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]