FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mapping Movie textures (help!)

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BRIAN
Mapping Movie textures (help!)
on Feb 6, 2006 at 6:27:48 pm

I've done this before but can't seem to do it again!
I have a movie texture (I can use either a targa sequence or an uncompressed Quicktime movie)
That I what to map onto a poly model but can't get it to work!
I've tried mapping to the "color" node via "file' or 'movie' but no luck. I just get rendered image with black material.
I've checked off "use image sequence" in the image file node and assigned the targa sequence (the quicktime movies I've tried aren't even available , just greyed out)

I must be messing up somewhere, can anyone give me a quicky refresher?

Thanks

Brian

Return to posts index

Ben Insler
Re: Mapping Movie textures (help!)
on Feb 7, 2006 at 9:33:58 pm

To my knowledge, you can only use image sequences (as in no QT movies), and by the way I'm not looking at MAYA right now so I'm going to give it my best shot from memory.

You want to assign the color attribute of your material to a 'file' node, and set that file to the first image in your image sequence. Then you want to check the 'use image sequence' box. Now the kicker is that your image sequence numbers have to correspond to your frame numbers (so image.0001.tga is going to be displayed when the playhead is at frame 1). If you didn't export your image sequence so that your image sequence corresponds to your timeline frame range, you can use the frame ofset to add or subtract from the current frame number in order to determine the appropriate current frame to be displayed in the image sequence. If you need to get really complicated, you could write an expression to control the frame number. You might do this if you have a 100 frame animation, but only a 30 frame image sequence. In this case once you get to frame 31, there will be no image file image.0031.tga, and thus MAYA will be unable to display it and will thus render black in place of the image frame (that sounds like what you're running into). So, you could write an experssion telling MAYA to hold the image frame number at 30 if the current frame > 30, thus holding the last frame rather than going to black.

I hope that helps somewhat.

Best,

Ben

Ben Insler

Editor

Telemark Films

Return to posts index

BRIAN
Thanks! Mapping Movie textures (help!)
on Feb 11, 2006 at 8:34:13 pm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>