FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lattice distorts my nurbs (and my nerves)

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
HaryBull
Lattice distorts my nurbs (and my nerves)
on Feb 6, 2006 at 6:04:03 pm

Hello people, I am trying to create a film strip. All is well built with nurbs curves and the either lofting/planar surfaces, or extruding from the curves and creating caps (top and bottom) instead of planar surfaces. I thought there would be a difference in the two techniques but alas, there is none! As soon as I modify a lattice that in turn modifies the geometry, I am literally f***ed.

I am shooting for a twisted film strip with 6 frames, trying to use a twister on a lattice but they don't seem to keep the geomtery together.

PLEASE HELP!
THANK YOU!

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
Re: Lattice distorts my nurbs (and my nerves)
on Feb 6, 2006 at 10:27:52 pm

I imagine the problem is with the planar surfaces. The resolution of the geometry will not match the edge resolution of the other surfaces. So the geometry breaks apart. A way around it is to keep the history on and loft directly from the trimmed edges, then if you place your lattice onto only the planars, the lofts will retain their connections because of the modeling history. That is if you don't force the geometry in two radically different directions.

Another alternative is to patch model the surfaces that are currently planars so you don't use planar surfaces...since they are kind of just an optical illusion.

Return to posts index

HaryBull
Re: Lattice distorts my nurbs (and my nerves)
on Feb 7, 2006 at 9:44:57 am

Hey Sean!

I did the lofting from the trimmed edges before reading this, and just did not distort so much as before. Now all is well :) Patch-modelling is new to me, so I left that alone for the next project ;) How are you? This is Zach from the past, drop me a line at hary13@mac.com when you have time, you Absinth-minded genius you :)

Zach

PS: and thanks for the help, awesome as ususal!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]