FORUMS: list search recent posts

lattice around curve

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
igor
lattice around curve
by
on Feb 5, 2006 at 10:40:56 am

well, I have one object (a group of beveled text exactly) which is attached to path... now I want that object to deform along a path, and I added flow path curve (lattice around curve)...The problem is that lattice is twisted at some parts of the path... why?

Return to posts index

igor
Re: lattice around curve
by
on Feb 5, 2006 at 4:11:17 pm

Anyway, all I need is smooth letters animation along curve, but I cant get it.Where I go wrong?

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Feb 5, 2006 at 11:00:39 pm

Another technique I use it to use a path that has been projected onto a nurbs surface. The nurbs surface can have loops and or +180 twists. Then if you duplicate an isoparm from this surface and use it as the path; there is now world up value that is calculated as the up value is driven by the nurbs surfaces normal.

-Jason

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

jason brummett
on Feb 5, 2006 at 11:04:07 pm

Oops, wish you could edit a post directly.

Ment to say that the world up axis, object up axis etc, is no longer driving the aim direction, it's the local normal of the nurbs surface that drives the up/aim direction. That is as long as history is maintained.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Feb 6, 2006 at 8:08:01 am

That sounds like a great technique, Jason--thanks for sharing!

Sorry to have misled anyone...

-Steve

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Feb 5, 2006 at 9:09:31 pm

The lattice will twist any time the path goes through the vertical (for example, in loops etc.). Flow will work best if you can avoid making the path vertical.

For path animation, there are tools you can use if you absolutely must make your motion path vertical. For example, you can assign a target object to be a reference for Maya's interpretation of the up vector, and you can animate this object so that the path-animated object doesn't twist. You can also add twist markers to the path itself, and so on.

However, in the case of a long string of text, you might run into serious problems. If the text is long enough that, at some point on the path, it goes vertical twice along its length--for example, if it is long enough to go up one side and down the opposite side of a loop--then you're in for a hassle. I'm not sure off the top of my head if there's a workaround for this, sorry.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Igor
by
on Feb 6, 2006 at 10:50:14 am

I cant believe that I cant do something like this

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b68/klops/frame.jpg

I heard that Maya is the best sofware for 3D and I think that it cant be problem for Maya.So if someone has skills to do that, please, explain me.Thank you very much.(sorry for bad english)

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Feb 6, 2006 at 4:27:51 pm

Don't believe everything you hear then.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Feb 6, 2006 at 4:28:19 pm

Don't believe everything you hear then.

Glad I could help Steve :)

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

igor
by
on Feb 6, 2006 at 6:44:41 pm

You want to say that it is impossibile to do something like this in Maya?
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b68/klops/frame.jpg

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Feb 6, 2006 at 8:17:27 pm

Nothing is really impossible.

Why not simply build a long twisting piece of geometry and create a texture map of letters to assign to it and animate the UV position?

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Feb 7, 2006 at 1:24:56 am

[igor] "You want to say that it is impossibile to do something like this in Maya?"

No, nobody is saying anything like that.

Your original question was 'why is the lattice of my flow path twisting at some points?' I gave you my best guess as to why that was happening, and as far as I know that's still accurate.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Igor
by
on Feb 7, 2006 at 9:54:20 am

Yes Steve you are right about my question.But I was frustrated so I was cofused abuot that.I just need some tehnique to do that and I think Jason gave me an idea.If there is another one i will be thankfull.Anyway thank both of you.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Feb 7, 2006 at 6:01:33 pm

No problem. Maya can make the most hardened veteran cry at times. But it is capable of anything you wish to create and the more you understand the better it gets. To get a long better in Maya and 3D graphics in general for that matter 1 should not let a problem get the best of them, and sit back and think the problem through again; unless of course your under a tight deadline and then 1 should scream out loud at everyone around them! Just kidding of course...

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Feb 8, 2006 at 8:50:04 pm

The thing to remember with Maya is that there are often multiple ways of accomplishing the same task, some better suited than others. In this case, the flow tool probably wasn't the best choice--and I should have said something about that to begin with.

In any case, I hope you've got it worked out thanks to Jason's suggested approach.

Good luck,

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]