FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simplifying Polygon meshes

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
iJackson
Simplifying Polygon meshes
on Feb 4, 2006 at 8:19:40 pm

Apologies if this subject has already bin discussed, im new to the forum-

I have created a scene set in a bathroom and the walls are made of tiles and grout. To create the tiles i have created a cube subdivided by 20 along the width, height and depth, then smoothed the polygon to create the effect of a tile, and then reproduced the cubes (tiles) along a wall, and created a single panel set a little deeper than the tiles into the wall to act as the grout. I thought this was the best way to do what i wanted, but i found when navigating through the scene, it has a lot of lagg, i thought to reduce this strain on my computer i would need to simplify the surfaces, and subdivisions of the tiles, to remove usless subdivisions in the tiles, and other objects in the scene. Is there anyway of doing this with a single command when i have selected all the tiles-or have i gone about creating the tiles the wrong way?

thanks in advance.

Jack Flaxton

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
Re: Simplifying Polygon meshes
on Feb 4, 2006 at 9:07:17 pm

under the polygon menu there is a reduce function that is designed to reduce poly count while keeping the shape of the object as best it can:

Polygons -> Reduce Polygons

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
Re: Simplifying Polygon meshes
on Feb 5, 2006 at 4:41:28 am

Also thought I would add that the tiles render speed and OpenGL navigation will benefit a lot from duplicating the tiles as instances instead of unique objects

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]