FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hair and fur

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Moore
Hair and fur
on Feb 4, 2006 at 2:45:44 am

Isn't there a way to paint on hair and fur directly to the object in Maya? I can make fur appear on the object but it's really wild. I've wbeen tweaking the settings ad nauseum but there must be a way to put the hair in the exact spots you need it.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
Re: Hair and fur
on Feb 5, 2006 at 4:38:32 am

The first thing you should understand is that the density initially or hairs per surface area is reliant on your UV's. If your applying hair to polys/subds you should have clean UV's, 0-1 etc. For nurbs the UV's are there already etc.

When you assign a fur description it will initally be equal density on your object assuming your UV's are proportional. Then you need to map or create a map via painting the density and tons of other attributes for your hair desciption.

good luck

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on Feb 5, 2006 at 7:51:53 pm

hmmm. Thanks Jason. I'll look into that further. I need to try the mapping. right now I'm just taking what i get by default. That ain't working.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Feb 5, 2006 at 11:07:31 pm

are you saying that your applying a hair descip. to a default polygon sphere for example and getting wacky results? double check that you haven't changed the defaults for applying a hair description and the UV's exist as they should on your sphere in the UV editor.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on Feb 6, 2006 at 12:47:32 am

What I'm doing is this:

1. import a male lion (with mane) object. I'm trying to add some realism to the mane with real looking hair.
2. I select the mane area and add the preset (lion fur) to that area. It's really big and disoriented. I am working on the settings to try to make it at least lay right. It doesn't though...yet.

I guess i thought orienting the hair would be simpler than I may be making it. I think it's probaly me and not the defaults because I'm not changing much.

I'm back to looking in the book and running through a practice example.

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]