FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya for use as pre-viz

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mYthprod
Maya for use as pre-viz
on Feb 3, 2006 at 4:32:20 am

Not a tech question so much, just curious. Anyone using maya as a pre-visualization tool? ie. storyboards, buildings not yet built, etc?

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

joe
Re: Maya for use as pre-viz
by
on Feb 3, 2006 at 4:53:45 am

mmh I do a bit of silver smithing, mostly jewlery and I usually like to whip up a model, via maya, of a piece before I actually make it.

Return to posts index

Ben Insler
on Feb 3, 2006 at 8:31:50 pm

I've done previz in Maya and Max for animated animatics and blocking for complicated scenes. For blocking (I actually used Character Studio in an older version of Max, because it has a premade biped rig), it worked well because my actors' movements needed to be articulated in a very detailed way and the previs worked better than verbal description for conveying the idea to a group of about 20 people that all had to traveling with the camera in a very precise way (sorry, I can't really explain this without making it a long discussion).

Otherwise, like for the animated animatics and for storyboards, you're probably getting into too much work in maya to make that valuable (creating simple characters and settings, rigging them, posing them, framing them... that's almost an animation job right there...), and especially if you're an animator, there's no need to do one pass of bad modeling and animation simply for the storyboards, and then do it over again. My suggestion, if you don't want to draw every frame out by hand - make about 6 generic storyboard poses for your characters in photoshop and then manipulate and slightly alter your layers for each frame to achieve all of your different shots. You'll have to gague, based on the length of your production, if this is worth it for you to do rather than just drawing them, but I think Maya is to big of a jackhammer for the nail you're trying to drive in.

For architecture, people use Maya all the time... but many people perfer CAD programs because they're more techincal and less creative.

Best,
Ben

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Feb 4, 2006 at 6:30:35 am

Technical != less creative;

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Ben Insler
on Feb 7, 2006 at 5:07:05 pm

Very true. That's not the meaning I intended and I apologize.

Best,

Ben

Ben Insler

Editor

Telemark Films

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]