FORUMS: list search recent posts

importing .pz3 into maya

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joe
importing .pz3 into maya
by
on Feb 3, 2006 at 2:48:06 am

K so i've been given a bunch of .pz3 files from poser, Is there any way to import these files into maya?

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
Re: importing .pz3 into maya
on Feb 3, 2006 at 5:46:06 pm

Yes. If you are looking to bring in an animation, this product does it http://www.e-frontier.com/article/articleview/1641/1/253?sbss=253

So far it works well for me.

Otherwise, for non-animated objects, you need to collect the scene inventory and put it in the same folder as the object that are in the scene. That puts all your textures and object together. If you don't do that, you'll get the objects but no textures. If you don't know about Inventory collection, this is it:

1. Export your scene to a folder (.obj or .3ds format).
2. Go to Window> Python Scripts> Utility Functions>Collect Scene Inventory
3. Collect the scene to a Folder and make sure it's the one that you Exported your scene to at the beginning. OBJ format is an option...you may also try 3DS if you like that format.
4. The script will run and you should then be able to Import the scene into Maya with all the textures. Some may appear a little funky like wires and ropes (depending on how they were constructed. Also, depending on your pc and the scene content complexity, it may take a little longer to load the first time since it's putting all the textures in place.

http://www.e-frontier.com/article/articleview/1641/1/253?sbss=253

Return to posts index

joe
by
on Feb 4, 2006 at 6:39:29 pm

hmm i'll give it a try thanks alot!

Return to posts index

joe
by
on Feb 8, 2006 at 3:25:13 am

i cant find the collect inventory script? It doesn't seem to be in my folder of scripts??

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on Feb 8, 2006 at 3:43:16 am

Don't look in the folders. It's all in the menu line in Poser not Maya.

1. First create a folder to save the Inventory to (to desktop, My doc, etc. and name it so you will know what it is). Yeah, a no brainer, I know :-)

2. Open Poser and your scene that you created in Poser. In the Poser Menu line, select Window > Python Scripts > Utility Functions > Collect Scene Inventory. You will see a pop-up that says "select" ..use the drop-down to select "copy all to folder". Poser will collect all the objects and textures and put them together as individual files within the folder location you point to.

3. You want to save this inventory to the folder you created in step one.

This all sounds long and drawn-out but it's really simple once you do it the first time. I thought the same at first. Now it's routine. Let me know if you need more clarification. No problem.

Return to posts index

joe
by
on Feb 9, 2006 at 1:23:12 am

Yea, I didnt look in the maya scripts, I can't seem to find the collect scene inventory script in the python script folder. I tried searching my hard drive etc etc Under utility functions all i have 7 scripts but none are collect scene inventory. Thanks for you help!

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on Feb 9, 2006 at 4:43:57 am

What version of Poser do you have?

Return to posts index

joe
by
on Feb 9, 2006 at 5:20:44 am

workin w/ poser 6

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on Feb 9, 2006 at 8:58:52 pm

It should be in there then. I have 6 too. So when you go through the menu items in Poser, you end up at a pop up window that lists the scripts to choose from. Mine has about 10, the last being Collect Scene Inventory. If you shoot me an email, I'll send you some screen shots and maybe the script.

Can you open your scripts folder and take a screenshot and sent it to me or tell me which scripts are in there? The file may be corrupted. The bottom line is that this is very do-able.

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
Re: importing .pz3 into maya - I figured it out!!!
on Feb 12, 2006 at 6:58:10 pm

You don't see it because you haven't updated the product. There is a product update on the website. I have Win and Mac versions. I hadn't updated the Mac software and I didn't have that option either until I did the update. That should solve your issue.

Return to posts index

joe
Re: importing .pz3 into maya - I figured it out!!!
by
on Feb 13, 2006 at 2:07:07 am

aahhh nice thanks!

Return to posts index

jaydub
importing .pz3 into maya for animation
on Feb 28, 2006 at 2:55:43 am

Glenn could you please help me out, i'm trying to import .pz3 files into Maya for animation.
Got BodyStudio 2.6 for Maya, but it gives me errors when i try to import.
// Creating Poser Universe...// Error Enumerating Scene
//Error: Error reading file. //
also i've seen "-6 error BigBang" something like that
currently running Maya 7 and Poser 5

thanks for any help!

jw

Return to posts index

jaydub
nm, i got it
on Feb 28, 2006 at 11:06:57 am

reinstall did the trick thanks

Return to posts index