FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vector renderer in 6 not tesselating

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mYthprod
Vector renderer in 6 not tesselating
on Jan 18, 2006 at 7:10:43 pm

I'm rendering an egg carton I've built in Maya 6.0.1 and using the vector renderer it looks as though it's rendering exactly how it's viewed in my viewer. My viewer is showing the corners as being missing, tell-tale sign of tesselation being low, but when I software render the object it looks fine. I guess while typing this I answered my question, maybe I just need to up the display tesselation until it looks right and then vector render the image?

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

mYthprod
Re: Vector renderer in 6 not tesselating
on Jan 18, 2006 at 8:05:14 pm

Nothing seems to work, my tesselation is being factored in no matter what I do. Tried uping regular tesselation, advanced tesselation, display tesselation, etc. :-(

Anyone have a clue as to what I might try?

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Jan 18, 2006 at 11:59:54 pm

Figured it out. I needed to "rebuild" my nurbs surfaces before the vector renderer would render them correctly.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

Butch007
on Jan 28, 2006 at 6:12:18 am

I'm glad you kept posting until you figured it out that sounds like some really critical info. I have two questions though. 1.) How exactly do you use the Vector renderer? There seems to be a minimal amount of information/tutorials on how to actually fine tune vector renders. (Lack of interest?) How do you work with the vector renderer (Do you know if you can open the .swf files in Swift 3D?) 2.) Have you found any straight and comprehensives info./tutorials on how to get the most out of the "Rebuild Surfaces" option box? (Many options, but not a lot of insight on what they all do)

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Jan 30, 2006 at 11:23:08 pm

I'm all thumbs with it right now. :-) I'm actually using it in 7 now and the tesselation, at least for nurbs seems to mimmick polys, at least as far as I can tell. I skipped 6.5 so maybe there were some earlier changes I'm just now getting to. A search in help for vector render should pull up a bit. beyond that it might just be to experiment. I'm very new with it and getting the results I'm wanting is sometimes difficult. I'm using it mostly for outline, cartoony stuff right now with 1 or 2 shading modes.

One interesting thing I did just figure out - when network rendering you can use the vector renderer but you won't see the images show up in the images folder until the render is done. I messed a long time trying to figure out why I couldn't net render with vector until I just let a render complete and then they were all there. I'm guessing it's got to write to a different format and then copy them to where they go when it's done. Probably something I should've figured out sooner but that took me a while of looking through the script editor and across my hard drives ... :-)

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

Butch007
on Jan 31, 2006 at 12:40:38 am

Thanks a lot for getting back. I actually found a pretty decent starter tutorial on the basics of the vector renderer at digital tutors. That thing with the frames being buffered "somewhere" until the render is done is really good to know ahead of time though. I'm jumping from 6 to 7 as well and am primarily doing the same thing: trying to toon shade and vector render out. I initially thought toon shading was a natural by product of vector rendering and found out that that's not necessarily true, but it does seem like you can get a better quality using the new standard toon shader in Maya 7 first and then vector render and experiment with whether you want the vector renderer to also add outilning. Cool stuff though I have 7, but I haven't installed yet and need to. I want to start experimenting with the Ambient Occlusion shader too, which I couldn't really use because it wasn't available in version 6. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]