Modelling Jigsaw Puzzle in 3D & animate it

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
grabFIX
Modelling Jigsaw Puzzle in 3D & animate it
on Jan 6, 2006 at 7:34:06 am

Hi,

Im a student of motion graphic.

I'm on progress doing jigsaw puzzle thing but in 3D. Im still figure out how to do that in Maya using dynamics concept. Im thinking that im going to use Goal technique but how to assign each pieces of the puzzle is really challenging. The puzzle will form an object for instance from to another. And will conposite it in AE

Can anyone guide me ? If any tutorial regarding that jigsaw puzzle technique would be appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

mYthprod
Re: Modelling Jigsaw Puzzle in 3D & animate it
on Jan 6, 2006 at 3:50:42 pm

Hrmm ... unless you know what you're doing I wouldn't even mess with dynamics for a simple jigsaw puzzle. And by dynamics I assume you mean to make the pieces fall onto a surface. All the fall would be is a primary animation with a secondary (reaction) animation that you could probably pull off by hand pretty easily.

As far as making the puzzle you could draw some closed curves for the puzzle pieces (using actual puzzle image plane as reference) and then just plane or bevel the pieces to give them a bit of depth.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Jan 7, 2006 at 2:00:50 am

My opinion as I've done what your asking fairly recently for a company is that dynamics are perfect for this. The tricky part is making all the dynamics on there own collision layer. By making each finished piece on it's own collision layer you won't have to worry about interpenetration errors during your solve.

after you've modeled the pieces. Sorry not tut but you should be able to figure out a shape that is "tileable" geometrically. I did and it works fine for this kinda thing. Keep in mind you don't want each piece unique or that would take forever to build and build right.

Specifying a unique collision layer is something you should do by hand.

I'm not good enough at mel to write a quick script that wouldn't be error proof at the moment and I don't have Maya available right now

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Jan 7, 2006 at 2:09:44 am

found a script on HE3D that will take your jigsaw pieces on place them each on a unique collision layer...Don't know if it has any bugs as I can't try it out at the moment but I'll look over the code briefly.....Looks right to me.

-Jason

/* This file downloaded from Highend3d.com
''
'' Highend3d.com File Information:
''
'' Script Name: differClayer v0.0
'' Author: Kang, Sung-Uk
'' Last Updated: May 3, 2002
'' Update/Change this file at:
'' http://www.highend3d.com/maya/mel/?section=dynamics#1700
''
'' Please do not alter any information above this line
'' it is generated dynamically by Highend3d.com and will
'' be changed automatically on any updates.
*/

/* differClayer.mel

MEL script for Maya

by Kang, Sung-Uk
openmaya@naver.com

studioPRISM
Seoul, South Korea
http://www.studioprism.co.kr

Description : This script will set each collision layer of rigid bodies to be differently.
*/

global proc differClayer()
{
string $rigidBodys[];
int $cLayer = 0;

$rigidBodys = `ls -sl -dag -et rigidBody`;

for ($rb in $rigidBodys)
{
$cLayer++;

$attr = $rb + ".collisionLayer";
setAttr $attr $cLayer;
}