FORUMS: list search recent posts

General question from AE designer

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antony Buonomo
General question from AE designer
on Jan 5, 2006 at 11:45:01 am

Had a bad situation yesterday where I had to turn down a job. About 80% of the required sequences were no problem, but a couple required a fly-over of a very basic 3D wireframe of some mountains, land and a river (actually the land around New Orleans). I have a trial version of Maya - is Maya useful for something like this? If so how long would it take me to learn the app enough to be able to make that sequence?

Any thoughts most welcome.

Antony

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
Re: General question from AE designer
on Jan 5, 2006 at 4:54:04 pm

Maya can definitely do that stuff, but how fast you'll get up to speed is all relative. Maya is a very wide and very deep program, and the learning curve will bit a bit duanting if you have no prior 3d experience. Start going through the tutorials that come with it and you'll find out pretty quickly how your adapting.
-chad

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Jan 6, 2006 at 12:31:16 am

I wouldn't plan on learning maya in time to do this unless there's a long fuse on it (like not due next week ... :-P). Bryce is an app that specializes in 3D landscapes but I have no idea how much you can do in it. In maya I would load a map and start restructuring the landscape, at least as much as I needed. Once the model is built it's very easy to fly a camera over a wireframe of it in Maya. Of course easy is relative like Chad said. You could render a wireframe animation and then re-render a shaded animation and then wipe between the two in AE. Clients are usually impressed with stuff like that.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

Nicholastoth
on Jan 19, 2006 at 2:08:00 pm

I REALLY DON'T LIKE VUE, but that would probably solve your problem for much less money than maya.
Vue 4 is still relatively cheap if you can find it, and you can hammer out landscapes like that with ease. You can also export it to an .obj with an accompanying texture.

Vue has also recently come out with a plugin for maya to allow you to use its massive fractal foliage generator. Pretty cool stuff, but you NEED A GIANT FARM to actually get some sweet results. That is the only issue with vue --- it is VERY SLOW --- v4 was a render hog on my dual 2.7g5 with 4.5 gigs of ram.

Nicholas Toth
Freelance Animator
nicholastoth.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]