FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie question sorry but i cant find answer antywhere.trying to model skirting board and door frames.

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kilbsy
Newbie question sorry but i cant find answer antywhere.trying to model skirting board and door frames.
on Jan 5, 2006 at 7:36:02 am

Hi can anyone tell me what the best way to model a a skirting board that follows the contours of a rooms floor. I have tried axtruding along the path curve that I used to loft the surface shape of the room but to no avail. I also want to model windo and dor frames and would like to know a simple way of doing this with the initial profile of the skirting wood. This would appear simple but I have been struggling to find an answer. Learning this would open up the program to me much more for added realism. My goal is to model my bedroom and everything in it in order to learn this program. This task will throw up its fair share of problems which need solutions, This is my prefered method of learning anything...but at the moment the way I am doing it is taking ages. I have been modelling each individual piece.
any ideas...( i am new so please explain simply)

Thanks for any help.
Barry

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Newbie question sorry but i cant find answer antywhere.trying to model skirting board and door frames.
on Jan 12, 2006 at 6:21:29 pm

Hi, Barry.

Your instinct to extrude a profile curve around a path is quite correct. The extrusion tools are tailer-made for kirting boards and similar objects.

However, it's difficult for us to offer detailed advice because you haven't been very specific about the problems that you run into when you try this method. What is it that goes wrong? Tell us that and hopefully we'll be able to point you in the right direction.

In general... you want to create a 'profile curve' which is a cross-section of your board, and a 'path curve' which in the case of your room will probably just be a square (with a section missing for the door). You will probably want your profile curve to be a degree-3 curve, while the path curve should probably be a degree-1 curve, also known as a 'linear' curve. You can change which type of curve you're creating with the tool options for the Create CV Curve tool.

Hope that's helpful. Write back if you have more problems or questions!

-Steve

Return to posts index

kilbsy
Re: Newbie question sorry but i cant find answer antywhere.trying to model skirting board and door frames.
on Jan 13, 2006 at 11:31:29 am

Hi thanks for reply, The problem I am having is that the extruded skirting board does not appear to be attachet to the path curve. I dont know what the correct settings are in the extrude dialog box. Under surfaces extrude?
Also my extrusion seems to taper at the end point. I just wanrt a simple skirting board all the way around the bottom of the room which is an irregular shape. Must I use another profile curve for the end point. Also where is it best to position the profile curve.

Any help appreciated the way I have been doing this so far is verytime consuming. I have a lot of window/door frames to complete using this method if it is the easiest.
Any help appreciated this is killing me..cant find simple explanantion on help files...maybe I am looing at it wrong!?1?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]