FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with Importing objects

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Moore
Problem with Importing objects
on Jan 3, 2006 at 8:54:06 pm

Sometimes when I import an object, it is so big that I need to pull wayyyy back to see it and then I can scale it down and get it back to the grid. I have a problem with an airplane model that I import. I know it's there but I can't find it. I know it has to have imported because when I Select All, a group is created. Is there a way to make it move to the origin? Maybe a script? Why do I say that when I can't do MEL? I'd give it a shot if I had to though. There has to be a way to capture an object and move it without actually directly manipulating it...isn't there?

Thanks in advance (wie immer)

Return to posts index

Jon W.
Re: Problem with Importing objects
on Jan 4, 2006 at 3:51:25 am

when object is selected, in viewport hold down 'x' key then middle mouse drag; it will snap to the nearest grid point. or in the input panel (next to render globals icon) change 'sel' to 'numeric input absolute' type in '000' hit enter

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Jan 4, 2006 at 12:28:36 pm

I've dealt with this problem quite a bit and the best solution I've found (without writing a script) is to follow these steps:

1. Select the group
2. Modify -> Center Pivot
3. Grid snap to origin
4. Scale group down if necessary

Often times the geometry will come in off axis and way out in space; but because of how the translater behaves the pivot points always lie at the origin, which is why I center the pivot first.

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on Jan 4, 2006 at 11:25:11 pm

Thank you both for the answer. Those are exactly the solutions I needed.

I took the long way around by importing it into Carrera, aaving as OBJ, and then importing to Maya. That was not the ideal option but it worked. I knew there had to be a way to do it.

Thanks again Jon and Sean

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Jan 6, 2006 at 12:36:04 am

Yeah, Maya should just come with default buttons for center pivot and delesect everything (select -clear;). There are certain actions that I do so much it's SO nice to be able to make my own damn button. :-) Wish everything was built like Maya.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]