FORUMS: list search recent posts

connection editor

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
spirit
connection editor
on Jan 3, 2006 at 8:04:07 am

can anybody, please, tell me in human language what the connection editor is all about!? it pops up when I try to drop features on the objects and i don't understand a thing from it. "maya help" probably does make sense for experienced users, but as for me it's chinese language. MAYDAY!!!

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
Re: connection editor
on Jan 3, 2006 at 4:41:35 pm

The connection editor in a lot of ways is the heart of maya. It is the interface that allows an user to make physical (Virtual i guess) connections from node to node and similarly break connections. It isn't user friendly at first in that every connection a node has is displayed. Yet if you understand a connection you can make it here by loading your node (shape node or object) in 1 side and the other shape node object you wish to link to in the other side and simply click them.

if you highlight a connection on 1 side and look for another connection on the other side; some will be greyed out and others won't. This is because Maya will only let you connect similar types of data. For instance Position from 1 cube to Rotation on another Cube is permitted as it's an Array 3 (x,y,z) but you can't connection Position from 1 obj to Say Visibility on another as X,Y,Z can't make a connection to Yes or No (Zero or 1). But you could connect Pos X to Visibility. Which would make the connecting object visible only when it's X coordinates were not at 0.0.

Hope that helps a bit. It's pretty scary looking but after experience will come into focus. Don't fret though. I'm a midrange user and still not familairy with Half of the connections in various nodes.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]