FORUMS: list search recent posts

Extrusion for plumbing pipes

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mYthprod
Extrusion for plumbing pipes
on Dec 20, 2005 at 9:59:36 pm

I'm doing the equivalent of window's screensaver "pipes" where the camera follows the pipes as they're drawn on. I can't seem to keep my file texture from swimming on the 90 degree corners. I tried turning up the tesselation on my NURBS surface but that didn't seem to help. I went from normal to projection texture and that helped with the texture but the surface still freaks out on those corners. Anyone have any advice? I used a cv curve with a nurbs circle and then extruded along the path. I'm trying now to mask on in AE and the way I did my camera move in Maya it's making it difficult to look right. Ugh.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
Re: Extrusion for plumbing pipes
on Dec 21, 2005 at 12:59:28 am

If your physically building the extrusion as in you've turned on "partial extrusion" in the extrude so you can animate the tube really growining, your texture map will constantly change as the number of spans along the pipe increases/grows from short to long to accomodate the new growing geometry.

Also you should if you haven't already turn on the nurbsShape node "check" fix texture warp. This more evenly distributes textures along a nurbs surfaces UV's more like Chord Length.

To create what your after is more complex.

The simpler way is to create your extrusion>conver to Polys> then on your polygon, use the Slice Tool with the option to remove geometry and constrain your Slice to the Extrusion Curve. This will essentially use Boolean operation to cut away and or Grow your geometry but the UV's will stay in place, or like they were from the Nurbs Geom. Additionally if you add a Fill Hole node to your Polygon after the Slice operation you will have a capped surface as well.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]