FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to keep NURBS surfaces together?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
spirit
how to keep NURBS surfaces together?
on Dec 5, 2005 at 1:36:36 am

I have a NURBS model that I need to move in space. But when I attempt to do that it breaks apart. What's wrong?

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: how to keep NURBS surfaces together?
on Dec 5, 2005 at 7:03:44 pm

If your model is made up of several NURBS surfaces, make sure you are selecting only the top group node before translating.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Dec 7, 2005 at 5:07:41 am

How are they breaking apart? History on dependent surfaces can cause deformation type of breaking apart or are you trying as Steve says to make indpenendt surfaces move as a whole which means you should select all of them and grp them cntrl+g. Or are you having stitching problems?

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

spirit
on Dec 8, 2005 at 2:11:29 am

well, when I transfer surfaces they move with different velocity, that cauces the destruction of model. I tried to group them. Actually my model consists of several groups of surfaces. I want to transfer my model as a single and coherent structure. Why is this happening? You said about surface dependency. Is there a way to reorganize it?

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Dec 8, 2005 at 6:41:29 am

surface dependency or as it's commonly called when it's working against someone is "double transformation" basically if your model is just that, a model and has no skinning or deformers on it. you should select all of these surfaces or there groups they belong to and go to Edit>delete by type>History.

This will remove any dependencies they may have on curves and or surfaces etc. that were used to create them. This is a good thing BTW and is one of the many things that makes Maya so powerful!

e.g. build a cv curve shape and then apply a "revolve" out of it. You can then select the curve and move it and the surface will follow. If you select both the curve and the surface it created by revolving and move you will see that the surface will move at 2x the speed as the curve. If you delete history on the surface, it will no longer be looking at the curve for local and global transformations. Incidentally you won't be able to modify the shape of the surface by altering the curve either.

Hope that helps,

Keep chugging along, it's worth it.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]