FORUMS: list search recent posts

unpeeling some fruit

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anthonymcgrath
unpeeling some fruit
on Nov 29, 2005 at 10:57:01 am

hey guys
i'm having a real problem in maya - I want to animate some fruit unpeeling. Now this doesn't have to be a full accurate animation - I need to get the fruit to unpeel in a spiral fashion with the top unwrapping first then rising upward as the rest of it unwraps and rises upward in a similar fashion - I cannot for the life of me fathom it out - in XSI I'd start with some surface deformation tools and deform a polygon plane with lots of subdivisions around a fruit shaped mesh but in maya it just seems impossible - can any of the cowsters help me out in this - any suggestions are welcome and remember they dont have to be physically accurate
ta
ant

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
Re: unpeeling some fruit
on Nov 29, 2005 at 6:01:30 pm

Can you model two fruits? One as a whole object without seams and then model another in the spiral shape (maybe using the first one as the base geometry? Then you could put bones around the spiral fruit and lift it up like that? The cracks could be covered in the compositing stage by a animated mask between the two fruits? that make any sense?
-chad

Return to posts index

anthonymcgrath
on Nov 30, 2005 at 10:44:14 am

hi Chad
I do have two pieces of the same fruit and tried the rigging but had no luck really. I found a simple enough solution using a half dozen blendshapes that I created by manually moving the faces - so my first shape is the upper portion unpeeled, then duplicated this and amended it so the middle section is moved and duplicated this 2nd shape and amended that one etc... till its all unpeeled.

of course the prob is now that the blendshapes additively shift the vertices as it progresses from blend 1 to blend 2 then 3 (hope that makes sense!!) but It looks good enough with the aid of a twist and sine nonlinear deformer :)

thanks Chad

ant

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Nov 30, 2005 at 6:19:33 pm

out of curiosity, what problems were you having with the rigged version?
-chad

Return to posts index

anthonymcgrath
on Dec 1, 2005 at 9:45:47 am

well I think my main problem was making the initial shape of the pineapple that I needed. It had to have some spiral topology.

In the end I used spiraliser script from highend3d.com to make a curve around my fruit shaped nurbsphere then rebuild the curve to get even points then used offset curve on surface to build another curve.

After that a loft got me a nice surface with even polygon distribution.

I was trying to rig it with all this history and it was just so slow and didn't have an even polygon distribution along the spiral surface. now I think about it it was a pretty silly idea so I may give it another shot at being rigged with the new topology hehe!

If I get some ftp space I'll post a test up
ant

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Dec 1, 2005 at 4:54:44 pm

cool beans and good luck with it.
chad

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]