FORUMS: list search recent posts

particles

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sbparke
particles
on Nov 17, 2005 at 3:33:41 pm

hello. i'm working on a particle animation in maya, some sprites with images attached are being emitted, and its been a long time since i've used particles and on top of that i've never had all that much experience with them. anyway, i know there is a way to set it so each particle is emitted at a random size, color, and opacity(mel script i think?) can anyone help me? i know next to nothing about mel script.

thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: particles
on Nov 17, 2005 at 7:55:55 pm

Yup, it's possible, and it's pretty straightforward--even with little knowledge of MEL.

Open up the particle shape object in the Attribute Editor, and find the section for per-particle attributes. You will need to add the spriteScaleXPP, spriteScaleYPP, opacityPP and rgbPP attributes as they are not included by default.

Once you have added those attributes, right-click one of them in the per-particle attributes list and select 'creation expression' from the pop-up menu. The Expression Editor will open.

The script you need will look something like this:
particleShape1.spriteScaleXPP = particleShape1.spriteScaleXPP = rand(1,2);
particleShape1.opacityPP = rand(1);
particleShape1.rgbPP = sphrand(<<1,1,1>>);
You can experiment with values to get the results you need.

Good luck!

-Steve

Return to posts index

sbparke
on Nov 17, 2005 at 9:04:04 pm

thanks for the mel script help.

i have another particles question. i would like to find a way to freeze the particles in place once they have emitted a certain amount so that i can actually animate the camera while the particles stay still. is this possible? i thought you could do this by baking the frame i want, but that doesn't seem to be working. am i missing a step? or is this not possible? i really appreciate any suggestions.

thanks again

Return to posts index

anthonymcgrath
on Nov 18, 2005 at 9:03:40 am

hi there
you want to select the particles then goto solvers/initial state/set for selected in the dynamics (F4)menu.

if you just want static particles you'll want to turn off the 'is dynamic' swatch in the particleShape attribute editor and also dont forget to set the emitters Rate to 0 or it'll spit out more particles you dont want :)

by the way, forgive my snooping but I know a Simon Parkes at EA in london (not sure if he's still there but was a great rigger anyhow!!) - this wouldn't happen to be you would it?

Return to posts index

sbparke
on Nov 18, 2005 at 2:03:01 pm

hey, thanks for the help!

nope sorry, thats not me. my name is actually steve parker, i can see how you might get simon parkes from sbparke though. ;)

thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]