FORUMS: list search recent posts

If not boolean then what??

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stephen flynn
If not boolean then what??
on Nov 2, 2005 at 6:15:08 pm

I recently moved onto maya from cinema and I'm struggling to find an alternative to boolean for some modeling. I gather from most reports thats its a complete no go in Maya. However for the project I'm currently working on I have to knock about 300 narrow windows into the stone wall of a fortress and I can't think of another efficent way to do it. Any suggestions greatfully received!

Steve

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
Re: If not boolean then what??
on Nov 3, 2005 at 5:06:09 am

There is a Make Hole Tool under Edit Polygons. I haven't used it but that's what it's supposed to do.

Return to posts index

The Bezier Kid
on Nov 3, 2005 at 5:27:06 pm

I have used extrude face for this exact purpose.

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Nov 3, 2005 at 5:28:36 pm

you can do booleans in maya, you just might have to delete history at a certain point because too many boolean histories cause maya to misplace the geometry. There are a couple other solutions though:
Create a single frame with the hole in it for one window. then duplicate it as many times as you need into the wall (or instance it).
Another thing you can do is do the whole thing in one go this way:

Create your wall out of a cube with the correct dimensions and enough subdivisions to represent all the windows you need to make, select both front and back of the cube faces.

Select all the faces for each window and do a poly extrude (make sure you turn Keep faces together off). Extrude them scaled down for the window frame thickness

Then do a second extrude and pull them in the local Z direction so the front faces and the back faces sit nearly on top of each other.

Go to Polygons->Selection->Convert Faces to Vertices or ctrl+right click and choose from the marking menu. Now you have all the vertices for those faces selected.

Perform a merge vertices with a distance about about 0.01 to 0.02, or enough to merge the front and back face vertices together but not the corners of the windows together.

Finally select those faces again and delete, you should be left with multiple holes in your wall and it will all be very clean geometry. This is the nice thing about maya's polygon modeling tools is you can do a lot of the edits to multiple faces at the same time.

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on Nov 3, 2005 at 9:22:36 pm

Sorry, I thought you were seeking an alternative to Booleans. Never mindddd.

Return to posts index

cow
guyb
by
on Nov 4, 2005 at 7:42:50 pm

Boolean work in Maya, you just need to have properly built objects.
In the case of multiple operations, like the holes on the wall you mentioned, first select all the objects to be used as holes, --> polygons/combine to create one single object, then use this object to make the holes ...
If often help when boleans are not working (both objects disappear) to check if the object is geometrically correct ---> polygons / cleanup has many options. It can also help to triangulate both object before the operation.
Last (but far from least), verify that the normals of the objects are pointing in good direction.
And effectively, delete the history between consecutive operations ...

Good luck,
Guyb

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]