FORUMS: list search recent posts

Up to 3 billions polygons in real time

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Carlson-Thies
Up to 3 billions polygons in real time
on Oct 24, 2005 at 5:13:34 pm

This is an informal interest poll to see if anyone would be interested in a hardware that will allow you to use 4 graphics cards in parallel. Giving a possible frame rates of 200-700FPS and 1.7 to 3 billion polygons in real time. The system only requires one PCIe card slot. And no specialized pulgins to get it to work with any program that uses graphics cards to process alot of visual data. You can use any PCIe based graphics card with the system. Imagine using 4 NVIDIA Quadro 4500 cards or 4 Geforce 7800GTX cards on one computer.

From Simon Carlson-Thies

Return to posts index

mYthprod
Re: Up to 3 billions polygons in real time
on Oct 24, 2005 at 9:59:23 pm

Sounds like lots of potential for crashes.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
on Oct 25, 2005 at 12:33:12 am

not since its mostly hardware, there is as much software involved as a normal graphics card, it just has 4 time the power of a normal graphics card

from Simon Carlson-Thies

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Oct 25, 2005 at 1:17:50 am

I've seen a system hacked to run like this recently. It was very fast, but I don't think i could justify the budget for 4 graphics cards. It would be nice if they came out with a dual-core gfx cpu that way I wouldn't need 4 bulky graphics cards, just one.

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
on Oct 25, 2005 at 4:18:54 am

This system is not for everyone that is for sure, but what you have to rememeber about dual core processors at the moment is that they only run 50% fsater then single processors. My system will give you a 75% boost, but as you pointed out not with out the price tag of $2400-$6000.

From Simon Carlson-Thies

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Oct 25, 2005 at 5:06:09 am

I know that you initiated this post as a "poll" but its starting to sound like a solicitation to those interested. This is a non-solicitated forum so I have to do my duty as an administrator and urge you to be careful to not sound like you're advertising.

As for the dual-core gfx gpu, they could just put two on the card, and blow, 4 graphics cpus. Now that the new age of cpu's have gone dual-core (with quad-core on the horizon) I think that dual-core gpu's may be the next big thing. Although it would be nice, I personally don't throw models that large around and would benefit much more from faster cpu and higher ram capacity, but thats just me. I like a well rounded system.

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
on Oct 25, 2005 at 1:28:21 pm

I am not trying to sell the system, I am trying gauge intrest to see if it is worth trying to manufacture. As for a dual core GPU blowing away 4 GPUs running in parallel I don't think so, the potenital performance intially of my system is far greater then a dual core GPU. And the idea would be that with a system like this you wou;ld be able to take some of the processor load off the cpu in modeling and rendering and let the GPU handel it.

From Simon Carlson-Thies

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Oct 25, 2005 at 5:24:45 pm

My point is two dual-core GPU's on one graphics card would be nearly equivilant and take up much less space in a system than 4 graphics cards. I say nearly equivilant because you wouldn't get the bandwith that 4 separate pci16 graphics ports could give you. Pardon my previous post, I didn't mean twin dual-core GPUs would blow away 4 parallel graphics cards, I meant it would blow away the need for 4 parallel graphics cards. I think the average person, graphics professional or not, would much rather support 1 graphics card with the equivilant of 4 graphics cards, than have to have 4 separate gfx cards in one machine. As it stands now, at least in the 3d comunity, my feelings are there is not enough need for 4 gfx cards in one system...yet. Mainly because if we are throwing around models that large, we also require significant cpu processing power because we're doing more than just spinning those models around. All the GPU can really do for us, at least in current applications is make the redraw and polygon display very fast. But if we have characters rigged and objects deforming and particles flying, and cloth simulating within this billion polygon environment, the gpu still has to wait for the main cpu and the software app to calculate where all those vertices are in space before the power of those gfx cards can be used to display them. I could be wrong, but the way current 3d app pipelines work, I don't know how much use there would be for 4 gfx cards. 1 and 2, probably, but 4 and were starting to get speeds we may never use efficiently.

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
on Oct 25, 2005 at 6:27:19 pm

Sorry if I came down on you a little hard, and you are right that twin dual core processors would be close. The concept is to allow for a change in the way that people think about doing CGI and graphics on the computer by giving the option to shify alot of work that was done by the CPU to be done on the GPU there by lessening the need for really fast CPU's. The idea of the system was to target things like realtime simulation for medical research, military purposes and feature film work. But if you have suggestions of how to make it more appealing to the consumer I would like to hear what you think. I do think that there is a potential that the power of the system such as this would mostly go unused, but of course that is always, atleast almost always with new hardware.

Anyways you got to at least admit it is cool...

From Simon Carlson-Thies

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Oct 25, 2005 at 6:36:03 pm

the real question is, will it run Excel okay? :)

It sounds like a impressive beast, but i have to go with Sean on this one, i'd rather have ONE video card to manage verses 4. Systems like this usually require extra IT overhead, which can be precious. But like all highend things, theres usually some niche for it. Question is whether the niche is big enough to support the R&D. (flame and inferno are good examples of this type of thing)
-chad

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Oct 25, 2005 at 9:50:29 pm

I think it would definitely have a place for High end volumetric visualization that is used in the medical visualization industry. Military institutions may be interested as well, but from what I understand, and I understand very little of their visualization, is it is as much cpu intensive as it is graphics intensive which is why they're using visualization systems specifically designed for the purpose of doing realtime massive scenes. Last I read they were still using SGI proprietary Onyx reality series. But they've also got their whole nuclear visualization division that are using highly specialized teraflop systems to calculate. Of course most of these applications, as I said, are very cpu intensive.

The problem with applying this type of system in the field of film/video effects is unless you're running massive particle systems (providing you have the ram capacity to calculate that massive of a particle system) which would benefit greatly from this setup, all of the other areas rely on cpu for calculation before the gpu even gets to draw. It would take a huge pull and many years before the software is redesigned to do a number of those calculations within the gpu, which I imagine could be done.

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
on Oct 25, 2005 at 10:56:19 pm

That would be the idea, now it may be early to release such a system, but it would help dirve things in a new direction which I think would be a good thing. And if such a system combined with the new Quad core machines that are comming out, you may be able uproot SGIs from the market.

From Simon Carlson-Thies

Return to posts index

tmcbroome
on Dec 29, 2005 at 6:19:09 pm

It would seem more than worth investigating. As others have pointed out there currently exists markets that could use the power today. I would probably be more inclined to populate such a beast with 6600's rather than 4500's or 7800's.

Once we have GPU assisted rendering and GPU assisted HD/2k/4k video it could truly be a blessing.

Return to posts index

Ken Johnson
on May 25, 2009 at 8:17:15 pm

I'd be interested in purchasing this hardware. E-mail me.
-Ken

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]