FORUMS: list search recent posts

lattice-aim constraint parenting issue with cartoony eyes

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark DeRidder
lattice-aim constraint parenting issue with cartoony eyes
on Oct 17, 2005 at 6:50:12 pm

ok, I can make perfect spherical eyes follow my aim constraint just fine when parented to my characters skeleton...

I can make oval eyes follow my aim constraint with a lattice if its NOT parented to my characters skeleton...

because if I do parent the lattice to the skeleton, the eyes no longer follow the aim constraint, but if I move the constraint, it still moves the eyes, just not looking at the aimer any more.

I know this is a parenting issue, because when I parent the eye geometry to the skeleton as well as the lattice, (or even without the lattice parented) it will follow the aim constraint except now I have a double deformation going on. So my question....

"How do I parent cartoony eyes which are spherical but deformed into ovals with an active lattice which need to be focused on my aim constraint at all times and avoid double deformation?"

Any help would be amazing! I know I am missing a check box or something. I tried to check "Transform All Points" for "Outside Lattice" option... which was cool, until I rotated my head up and down.

Thanks!
Mark

http://www.mderidder.com

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
Re: lattice-aim constraint parenting issue with cartoony eyes
on Oct 17, 2005 at 11:43:30 pm

When you parent the eye geometry with the lattice are you also parenting the lattice base object? This must go with the lattice parenting or it will cause incorrect deformations. What I usually do is group the lattice and its base together then parent that group to whatever it has to follow.

Return to posts index

Mark DeRidder
on Oct 18, 2005 at 2:08:01 am

Thank you Sean! You always come through for me! And I really apprectiate it.

I tried what you suggested and bingo, no problem. I never knew of a Lattice base until I checked my hypergraph! How come all those darn eye rigging tutorials seem to forget to mention this crucial part. Even after 4 years of school studying this stuff, I've never come accoss this.

Anyhow, thanks again for your help and for responding so quickly!

You rock,
mark

http://www.mderidder.com

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Oct 18, 2005 at 3:56:40 am

Happy to help. It seems like such a simple thing once you actually know about it. I noticed a lot of schools throw canned demo's at students but don't discuss the why or how of the mechanics that are going on. I always give a preface to deformations by explaning how they work internally and describe the fact that there is always a reference point for any deformer. The lattice's reference point is its base.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]