FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blurry textures in Maya

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mYthprod
Blurry textures in Maya
on Oct 14, 2005 at 10:30:05 pm

I take bluescreen NTSC 720x486 footage and key it (usually with keylight) and bring it into Maya on a somewhat regular basis. I've never been happy with the quality of my image planes because it always looks blurred (usually just use a nurbs planar). I know about the filter setting and that helped a bit. I think I'm running into a square vs. rectangular pixel aspect issue in Maya and that's why the textures look blurred. I've been rendering frames out of AE but I'm wondering if I should be changing the comp size to 720x540 and change it from rectangular to square before rendering out to Maya? Anyone have any experience with any of this?

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

Milesl2@mac.com
Re: Blurry textures in Maya
on Oct 17, 2005 at 7:17:13 pm

Are you using these images for texturing or for an image plane/background?

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Oct 17, 2005 at 10:48:06 pm

I'm using a nurbs plane and doing a normal 2D file texture.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

Milesl2@mac.com
on Oct 17, 2005 at 11:30:15 pm

Would you mind sending me a jpg of your render and the original image you are trying to texture? I think I might know the problem, but I wanted to see it to make sure I send you in the right direction.

Return to posts index

Robert Morris
on Nov 27, 2007 at 12:16:55 am

Did you ever get this solved? I'm having the same problem. I think it's a Maya setting and not the image aspect ratio. I work in video as well so I'm used to square vs. rectangular pixels, but I also bring in image planes of photos shot from my still digital camera. What I *have* noticed is that Maya renders the same image plane completely crisp when rendered with the Maya Software renderer. But it's only with Mental Ray that I get blurred image planes. Hopefully we can figure out why.

-Robert

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Nov 27, 2007 at 2:52:34 pm

I had to render my video sequence out of after effects in square pixel aspect ratio and then I had to make my image plane a 1.3 in X and 1 in Y and scaled it up to what I needed and it was -much- better after that. After effects actually doesn't do that great a job of de-interlacing video but it was okay enough to do what I needed done. There's a fields kit (Re:Vision) that specializes in de-interlacing footage if AE's isn't good enough.

Hope that helps!

- MythProd
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

Robert Morris
on Nov 27, 2007 at 4:46:10 pm

Deinterlacing will definitely blur your images. There's a great example in the AE COW articles from WAY back. Re:Vision is good if you simply must try to convert interlaced into progressive. But that's not my issue. I'm working with non-interlaced, square pixel images shot from a digital still camera for my image planes. I've tried them in both JPEG and Maya's IFF format. Both ways get blurred the same when rendered in Mental Ray, b ut stay crisp in Maya Software. I NEED to render in Mental Ray, though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]