FORUMS: list search recent posts

MAYA Training DVD

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Ferg
MAYA Training DVD
on Oct 12, 2005 at 12:17:06 am

Hi All,

I was hoping that I could get a recomendation on the best DVD training series out there for Maya. I've used Total Training in the past, however they dont offer any Maya titles so I'm hoping to find somthing equally comprehensive.

Any insight on the Gnomon series?

Thanks in advance.

Josh

Return to posts index

mYthprod
Re: MAYA Training DVD
on Oct 13, 2005 at 7:40:28 pm

The gnomon series are better for intermediate users as you have to have a pretty good idea where they're going and how they got there to get anything out of them. Unless they've changed since I've purchased their DVDs they typically show you how to do stuff with more of a lecture feel to them instead of tutorial based where you follow along. The lecture kind of approach isn't good for newbies, imo.

Get some books with CDs / DVDs bundled with them so you can follow along. Once you completed a book or two, go for the gnomon vids.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Oct 13, 2005 at 10:05:50 pm

The gnomon series are better for intermediate users as you have to have a pretty good idea where they're going and how they got there to get anything out of them. Unless they've changed since I've purchased their DVDs they typically show you how to do stuff with more of a lecture feel to them instead of tutorial based where you follow along. The lecture kind of approach isn't good for newbies, imo.

Get some books with CDs / DVDs bundled with them so you can follow along. Once you completed a book or two, go for the gnomon vids.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on Oct 14, 2005 at 10:41:11 pm

I haven't tried those but the Alias dvd's are pretty good. They've helped me a lot and you can buy them for specific things instead of an overall approch after the beginner series.

Return to posts index

John Ward
on Oct 17, 2005 at 3:18:22 pm

Has anyone tried the Digital Tutors stuff?

http://www.digital-tutors.com

The samples / excerpts from the series look pretty
good but I wondered if anyone out there had some
real-world experience with them?

Thanks,

John Ward
---------
Editor / Animator,
Synergetic Productions

john@synergeticproductions.com

Return to posts index

blueplume
on Nov 12, 2005 at 4:29:15 am

Well, There're lots of Maya's training resources out there, Which one to go for is largely depends on your level of knowledge of Maya.
If you're an absolute beginner, Check out http://www.3dbuzz.com . They offer lots of high quality Maya training video for free. Those videos are aim specifically to beginning Maya users. You can also purchase their training DVD - "mastering maya - the Fundamentals", which contained more than 82 hours of training, covering virtually every single aspect of Maya, and the price is very low, only 248 dollar. Digital Tutors also has many excellent training DVDs for Beginning to intermediate Maya users, Their Car modeling and Android Modeling training series are the best of all I've ever seen.
If you already had a solid foundation of Maya, go for Alias's training DVD. They have a very extensive training library for intermediate to advanced Maya users, their DVDs mostly focus on the real-world application and the pipeline of Maya, and they also had a few of DVDs deals with the technical details of Maya's architecture.
Gnomon Workshop's maya training DVDs are my favorite, they offer very in-depth look for Maya's features. All of Gnomon's presenters are top experts in their field, and they all have experience working in the CG industry. However, Gnomon's DVDs are relatively expensive.
Good Luck with your Maya Learning.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]