FORUMS: list search recent posts

Planar dosent follow curve.

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
r303
Planar dosent follow curve.
by
on Oct 6, 2005 at 8:06:48 pm

I drawn a closed curve and used surfaces -> planar (Nurbs, Cubic, Complete) to fill my curve.
But the planar dosen't follow my curve exactly. It like cut corners where the curve is with a lot of detail.

It's not a question of my NURBS display smoothness setting, because it also shows in the rendered image (production quality).

Is there a limitation to what a planar can fill?

Return to posts index

r303
bur when I project curve to a surface and trim....
by
on Oct 6, 2005 at 8:17:22 pm

then the punched out hole follows that curve. What am I doing wrong when making the planar?

That is. I have a closed curve. This curve I wnat to make into a surface. I select my curve a do the planar. Now the surface dosent follow the curve exactly.
Now taking the same curve and projecting it onto a plane and then trimming it, leaves me with a surface that now follows the curve to the point.

Why can't I do the planar?

Return to posts index

r303
I was wrong about the trim.
by
on Oct 6, 2005 at 8:21:03 pm

I was wrong. The trim doesent follow the curve exactly either.

Return to posts index

r303
I fiddled with the tessalation.
by
on Oct 6, 2005 at 8:34:18 pm

I tryed adjusting the tessalation and it helped. I don't know what I did or why it helped but it made a lot of small triangles and filled the curve.

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
Re: I fiddled with the tessalation.
on Oct 6, 2005 at 9:28:09 pm

thats what it did and why it helped. Large non-square planes are hard to dice into smooth edges because they require a lot more triangles when tessellated than you would initially think. So you have to increase the tessellation until that smooth boundary edge is diced fine enough by triangles to represent it while rendering.

As for the 3d preview in the viewports, maya has always had an issue displaying trim surfaces interactively.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]