FORUMS: list search recent posts

Auto Desk Aquires Alias - Will this be the End of Maya?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Duguay
Auto Desk Aquires Alias - Will this be the End of Maya?
on Oct 5, 2005 at 2:53:47 pm

I

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
Re: Auto Desk Aquires Alias - Will this be the End of Maya?
on Oct 5, 2005 at 4:45:57 pm

There's not much to discuss about what will happen to Maya. No one outside of Autodesk really knows. I've been reading all of the other threads commenting on this topic and its all about the same comments, either Maya is going down, or Maya and Max will be merged, or they'll stay separate. Then everyone says "Maybe I'll get XSI."

Return to posts index

r303
by
on Oct 5, 2005 at 7:31:27 pm

I can't imagine them disolving MAYA. They know that they'll lose all the maya users to XSI. No doubt about it.

But I'm a bit shocked today, and everyone has been talking about the issue. As said. No one knows. Maybe not even autodesk.

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Oct 5, 2005 at 11:30:08 pm

There are a number of very large studios who's entire pipeline is designed to work with maya. And they are all using linux (which max doesn't run on). So if maya did disappear these companies would simply version lock their maya software and go on working accordingly until they found a true need to replace or augment maya. And if they did go to XSI it would be a long transition process. Anyway, on Autodesks FAQ pdf they stated that Alias products would continue be supported and developed after the aquisition. They just don't say for how long.

Return to posts index

mody
by
on Oct 6, 2005 at 8:42:41 am

I feel all will remain as it is for 1 year minumum

after that

Maybe 3ds max will be targetted for games environment with some tools of Alias productline and
another product will be there for high end visual effects based more on Maya code since its already there for
Linux Windows and OSX.

Also there has to levels of productline to compete with products like Cinema and Modo

Studio tools the High end cad cam market is also very huge for Autodesk

At the end not anyone is happy about this for people love options / healthy competition. But I guess money counts the investrors in Alias got a good amount of $$

Lets hope for the best. I also hope Autodesk doesnt mess it up

Mody

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
on Oct 6, 2005 at 1:36:00 pm

I second that Mody:

"Lets hope for the best. I also hope Autodesk doesnt mess it up"

I've been practicing and studying Maya for a while now to get into the highend visual effects market and an independant artist, and this is a big blow to me. I love discreet but i am jsut disheartend by this . We all know (including autodesk) that maya is a superior app to 3ds max, I am hoping that good sense will prevail and all superior feature of max will be ported to maya , like rpf export and discreet integration etc. and max will be dissolved. and maya platforms will remain as is (windows , Linux , OS X)

This is my wish but we'll have to wait and see. My stomach is in knots right now.

Nigel

Return to posts index

lestdog
on Oct 7, 2005 at 11:01:41 pm

I'm not really going to sit here and worry about "what-ifs" Maya does everything I need it to do, which was
could have stopped at 3 versions ago... kill maya, whatever... I still use photoshop 6 and it does what I need it
to do.... inovation is totally sweet... but I wonder how many people exsist that couldn't get along unless
a new version was down the road.

Return to posts index

Ian Dillon
on Oct 11, 2005 at 6:13:36 am

Studio Max will become a 3-D game development platform, and Maya will become a reality platform, but you will need both plus a couple more programs to have the whole production suite. Just as in so many other product combos (ie, Adobe's: premier, photoshop, illustrator, after effects),(Apple's: final cut, motion, dvd studio pro, soundtrack, pro), (and Sony's line of compatible software), the trend is to come out with a "production suite of software" to make money at all levels of consumer needs.
I think there should just be ONE real-time 3-D, compositing, audio sweetining, editing, DVD burning, illustrating, coloring program. Why not?
Maybe AVID, ProTools, Maya, Adobe, and Apple would all collaborate on just one big ass program!

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Oct 11, 2005 at 3:49:25 pm

Oh my, can you imagine the bug list on that puppy.

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
on Oct 13, 2005 at 5:23:20 pm

hahahah:

that is funny:

but I doubt that will happen, esecially when all these companies are trying to poke each others eye out. but i think the 3D production suite thing can actually become a reality from autodesk. lets see. "THE ULTIMATE DESKTOP VISUAL EFFECTS SUITE" and they will be very corrrect

nigel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]