FORUMS: list search recent posts

Alias acquired by Autodesk?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
victorypoint
Alias acquired by Autodesk?
on Oct 4, 2005 at 10:00:45 pm

Is this a rumour? Just heard it second-hand.

-AJ

Return to posts index

victorypoint
Re: Alias acquired by Autodesk?
on Oct 4, 2005 at 10:04:58 pm

Oh man - no rumour! It's now Autodesk Alias.

http://www.alias.com/eng/index.shtml

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=5970886&siteID=123112

Is this good news?

-AJ

Return to posts index

Mike James
on Oct 4, 2005 at 10:27:19 pm

Less open market competition. Bad news to me.

Return to posts index

George Loch
on Oct 5, 2005 at 5:15:29 am

Very bad news for me. I like focused companies. They produce focused products.Autodesk has not been not very focused in their recent history.

Well, I will not panic but I will also save my Maya 7 upgrade ash for something else....like XSI.

-gl

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
on Oct 5, 2005 at 10:59:55 am

I dont like this either,

I love autodesk stuff dont get me wrong, but i dont see how this can help anyone unless they leave alias and discreet to run as seperate entities, which i doubt they will.

The pinky and the brain move by autodesk worries me. secondly what's going to happen to the mac platform of maya which accounts for 25% of their sales at present, thats big. and we know how autodesk feels about the mac platform.

oh concern concern !!!!!!

nigel

Return to posts index

r303
by
on Oct 5, 2005 at 11:17:22 am

Autodesk already have 3DS max as a product.
How on earth will they keep the two apps (Max and Maya) evolving. I mean if one app should loose users to the other, the money still goes into the same wallet.

Will the front be defined by XSI on one side and then MAX/MAYA on the other?

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
on Oct 6, 2005 at 1:51:40 am

I think they will absorb Maya tech into 3DS because in my humble opinion Maya is way better.

and change the name somewhat, but my beggest concern is the mac platform.

This opens up another can of worms.

if this happens (mac abandoned by autodesck Maya) who wants to bet Steve (Jobs that is) hires all or most of alias programmers and makes his own thing.

anyone wants to place bets.

nigel

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Oct 27, 2005 at 8:47:38 pm

Personally I'm ecstatic about this. My dealings with Alias have been nothing short of disgusting.

I had some serious power problems in my aprtment and lost 2 computers and a motherboard over 3 months. When I explained the problem to the powers-that-be at Alias, they did not want to replace my license for Maya (Which is linked to your motherboard), I had to get the team at Boxx to write an email on my behalf tro prove I wasn't trying to install it on another machine.

Please understand - I'm not some guy coming out of nowhere. I teach Advanced Animation at Pratt Maya, including Maya (not anymore though), and work for several major software companies, designing content. I expleained that I held software security in the highest regard, but they would hear none of this. In their minds, they are the king of the hill with regard to 3D, and we have to suck it up and do what they say to use it.

Since that experience, I had too many bad feelings about it, so I stopped teaching maya, I barely work with it (I don't work with unsupported software), and have not upgraded in 2 versions. My business has not suffered one Iota for it. i just moved into other things.

I don't see how the situation could get worse from Alias being purchased by discreet. If anything, maybe the maya division will get a little humility and remember that their end users, and especially the people teaching their software to the next generation of users, are the center of their business - not a side effect of it.

Just my thoughts.

----------------------------------------
Aharon Rabinowitz
aharon(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
http://www.allbetsareoff.com
----------------------------------------
Creative Cow Master Series DVD
particleIllusion Fusion Volume 1
available @ http://www.pIllusionFusion.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved