FORUMS: list search recent posts

ANIMATED PATH EXTRUDE WITH ARROW as top of extrude shape

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
teakster
ANIMATED PATH EXTRUDE WITH ARROW as top of extrude shape
on Sep 30, 2005 at 4:30:37 pm

Hi Guys

I can do an animated path extrude easily in maya, but how do you do the same sort of thing with say an arrow head as the staring point? Example of what I mean - the Lugz ad that http://www.psyop.tv have created is a good ref movie.

Also 1 more thing, when i do path extrude, the path extrudes very organically - i.e bends and resizes over path - how do I make the extrude so it doesn't twist as the path is extruding over time? Would adding more polygons help?

Any help would be most grateful!

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: ANIMATED PATH EXTRUDE WITH ARROW as top of extrude shape
on Oct 1, 2005 at 9:28:52 pm

The simplest thing to do is probably just to make your arrowhead one object, and your extruded body another. Use the same path curve for the 'motion path' for one, and the 'extrude path' for the other. Sync up the values with time, and you should be good to go.

I'm not 100% sure what you're describing in your second question. If you mean the profile curve spins suddenly, it might be an Up Vector issue. If you mean the extruded shape pops and shifts as the extrusion gets recalculated every frame, then maybe set the extrude options so that a fixed number of isoparms are generated. That should create a smoother animation.

-Steve

Return to posts index

teakster
on Oct 2, 2005 at 3:41:59 pm

Thanks for the tip on the arrow! worked a treat - just need to refine technique now!

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Oct 2, 2005 at 4:01:20 pm

Glad to be of some help. The tricky part might be getting the twists of the two objects to line up perfectly... post again if you have any trouble.

-Steve

Return to posts index

The Bezier Kid
on Oct 4, 2005 at 2:33:50 pm

I've had alot of luck making a long object (ie.arrow) attaching it to a motion path then flowing the motion path object

Return to posts index

teakster
on Oct 5, 2005 at 10:51:32 am

Yo thanks, I know this works, but what I wanted was the tail end of the arrow to animate on then off over time!

If you can do this this way then let me know, as would be easier than matching arrow shape and an animated path extrude.

Cheers

Return to posts index

The Bezier Kid
on Oct 5, 2005 at 10:37:57 pm

yeah ... it works

Return to posts index

lou digi
on Nov 1, 2005 at 6:23:10 pm

Well how do you animate the extrusion in the first place?

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Nov 2, 2005 at 4:10:12 am

If you leave Construction History on when you perform the extrusion, you will have access to the extrusion node and can keyframe the max and min values.

-Steve

Return to posts index

lou digi
on Nov 2, 2005 at 2:02:31 pm

Ah yes!!! As simple as that. Thanks a bunch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]