FORUMS: list search recent posts

question concerning alpha transparency and spot lights..

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anodecathode
question concerning alpha transparency and spot lights..
on Sep 21, 2005 at 9:55:18 am

Hi.. I'm still a newbie to this program but slowing soaking up everything I can.. Here is my latest problem:
I have an alpha embeded tiff sequence that I am trying to composite into my project.. Everything looks great, except when I shine a spot light on the tiff sequence. The transparent section of the sequence reflects light from the spot light.. Anyone know of a work around?

here is an image link of the problem:

http://show.imagehosting.us/show/698060/0/nouser_698/T0_-1_698060.jpg

thanks
scott

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: question concerning alpha transparency and spot lights..
on Sep 21, 2005 at 3:49:37 pm

What material are you using for the sequence? If you've chosen a blinn or something similar, then it will have specular highlights, which you don't want. Make it a Surface Shader material instead--or even just a Lambert.

-Steve

Return to posts index

anodecathode
on Sep 21, 2005 at 8:51:19 pm

Steve.. Thanks!! That has to be it! I used Phong E which most certainly has specular highlights.. One other question on a different topic.. I noticed that when I rendered out a frame with Mental Ray my spotlight did not show up.. Are there certain lights that do not show up in Mental Ray?

I really do appreciate your help.. I'm new to Maya and I am just starting to be able to wrap my head around it.

scott

Return to posts index

r303
by
on Sep 22, 2005 at 8:23:14 am

I think area light wont show up, but I'm not sure.

Return to posts index

anodecathode
on Sep 22, 2005 at 3:37:49 pm

Thanks for the info Daniel.. I switched the render preset to "Production" instead of "Production Motion Blur" and that fixed the lighting problem.

thanks
scott

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]