Nonlinear deformers

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tim
Nonlinear deformers
by
on Sep 7, 2005 at 3:43:59 pm

Hey guys,

Again a question on my guy falling through the sky animation.
My guy is wearing a suit. To make the suit flap I've just used polys and a non linear deformer (wave). I didn't want to go down the road of cloth or softbodies (I'm just a student) and found this method actually works a treat.

But my only problem is that sleeve on his jacket goes through his hand. Is it possible to make the sleeves on the jacket to be less affected by the deformer? Or any other work arounds you can think of? He is being toon shaded which leaves the option to do corrections in post. But again I don't want to be doing laborious work arounds if there's a simple answer in maya that I don't know about.

Basic test I rendered out: http://www.timrudder.com/major/fallingTest.mov
Still of the aesthetic I'm going for: http://www.timrudder.com/major/suitMan.jpg

Thanks guys.

tim

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
Re: Nonlinear deformers
on Sep 7, 2005 at 4:44:19 pm

unfortunately linear deformers are not yet weight paintable (lame!) but what you can do is use the Edit Membership tool to remove the sleave vertices that are going through the arm from the wave deformer and then create a separate wave deformer with the same settings but lower amplitude to give the sleaves some flap but not so much they go through the skin.

Deformers->Edit Membership

select the wave deformer while in the edit membership tool and all the vertices deformed by it will turn yellow. Ctrl-select to remove vertices from the deformer. Shift-select to add vertices to the deformer. Polygonal vertices that are not visible can still be added to the deformer, so you may want to use isolate select on only the objects you want to edit.

Check out the docs on edit membership too, and defomers in general.

Return to posts index

tim
Re: Nonlinear deformers
by
on Sep 8, 2005 at 3:52:39 am

You're my new hero.

Thanks mate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]