FORUMS: list search recent posts

Grab swatch to Hypershade, How can this be utilized?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brummett
Grab swatch to Hypershade, How can this be utilized?
on Sep 7, 2005 at 1:42:24 pm

I remember reading a long time ago someone recommended to me to use Grab Swatch to Hypershade to show thumbnails of scene files like 3DSMAX does by default.

I can do this, but I have to create a Hypershade project tab first then take a wireframe snapshot in Renderview of the scene and grab this and drop it on the Hypershade Tabs file. This is great for archiving but hoping there is a way to automate this for new scene files etc. so I can open up large scene folders and view each scene quickly and optionally have the image update as changes are made to the file.

Any idears?

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
Re: Grab swatch to Hypershade, How can this be utilized?
on Sep 7, 2005 at 4:45:37 pm

you might be able to mel script this, but I'm unfamiliar with the mel commands for grabbing swatches and processing them through the hypershade.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Sep 7, 2005 at 5:29:50 pm

Yea,

I don't have a clue how to script that one. But it would be extremely helpful if someone did or new of a way/script to do that.

Thanks,

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Sep 7, 2005 at 10:26:36 pm

the problem is I don't think there is a documented way to link the icon image to the .ma file that shows up in the hypershade. Although there are probably examples of it in the examples that show in the visor. If anyone has time to investigate, myself included, that would be cool. I seem to remember an old script that would do this, but I think it was a completely custom written project manager tool that was used in place of a file browser. Furthermore, I have no idea what it was called now.

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Sep 8, 2005 at 12:29:37 am

Ok, so I found out that if you create an image file that has the same name as the scene file with .icon appended to the end, the hypershade will automatically use it as an icon for the maya file. Why alias hasn't placed an automatic function to do this within the interface is beyond me. So if your scene name is myScene.ma you create an image named myScene.ma.icon that lives in the same directory and the hypershade will use it as the icon when displaying the file lists.

Since this works it should be pretty easy to automate creating these images. Setting up the tabs in the hypershade for you is not so automatic because there are probably too many user factors involved, but since its pretty easy to create a file tab in the hypershade it might not be that big a deal. Knowing that, I'm thinking I might make a personal project creating an enhanced file browser that is hypershade driven.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Sep 8, 2005 at 2:34:24 pm

That is excellent research Sean!

Did you find that in the docs? Curious how you found that out. Making the tab in hypershade etc. isn't really the problem as much as the icon not updating with scene changes. If you could script something that would launch a 3:4 apsect ratio flatshade render of the scene at save time then replace the scene name with this icon myscene.ma.icon as you say that would work. Now I'm afraid it might take forever :(

That is above me as far as scripting goes. Still learning.

Thanks.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Sep 8, 2005 at 2:46:45 pm

Doh. Just dawned on me that the best way to do this is the somehow use a system command (not sure what it really is though) screen grab or print screen. of lets say your perspective viewport. Resize it to thumbnail size or maya swatch; icon size and use that as the myscene.ma.icon file.

Need to go back to skuul for comp science.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Sep 8, 2005 at 3:57:09 pm

problem with this is some people have dual monitor setups and that would make for a crappy screen grab when the icon is resized. What can be done is a hardware render, or even a software render of the scene. Depending on how complex the scene is this could increase save time a ton, so it should be cancel-able. I think all of it can be done through mel, I've scripted somthing like this before for a proprietary pose editor which grabbed swatches of the pose. The problem is that the hardware renderer was changed in version 5 and 6 so it works slightly differenly depending on a lot of scene variables. Which sucks.

I'll see what I can do but I have little time now, perhaps in the next couple of weeks I'll tinker with it.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Sep 8, 2005 at 10:34:30 pm

Thats true but a simple if aspect ratio X is this then crop X to this kinda thing should work.

Also maybe 1 could tie it into the resolution gate of the file so that you could quickly see that too.

No worries. I've been without it using maya thus far and still kicking...

thanks Sean.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Sep 11, 2005 at 5:08:26 am

Just an update. I sat down this weekend and took a look at the possibility of this and scripted something real quick and it looks promising. I'm going to make a first version for testing purposes soon. There are workflow and integration details that will have to be ironed out, but so far so good.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Sep 12, 2005 at 3:01:55 pm

Cool! I'd love to beta that for you when it's ready if need be.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Sep 20, 2005 at 10:34:49 pm

Hi Sean, Just downloaded the Leveltools and installed it for the first time in Maya. It's a nice piece of code for sure but wanted ot point out that they have something like this in it for scanning a folder for props etc. (library of geometry) and generating a small thumbnail of that file. I haven't looked at those scripts used to create it but it might be a good jumping off point...

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Sep 21, 2005 at 12:07:59 am

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it. I've got most of the icon creation code done. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to integrate it into the current save functions and options. That way you can seemlessly have it happen automatically on file save or export.

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Oct 22, 2005 at 9:38:54 pm

Sorry it took so long, Jason, extra busy at work. I have a beta version you can test if you send me your email, offlist please. It turns out in order to properly open files from a visor type display I may have to script one myself, currently only files can be imported from the visor.

Return to posts index

Joaquin (Kino) Gil
on Sep 9, 2005 at 2:38:08 am

Hi-
perhaps you want to give a try to "Deep Exploration", a very smart and handy program by Right Hemisphere of New Zealand. It will source the Maya bins to display wires --or gourauds -- of the files in your disk. PC Wintel, that is. I don;t know if MacOSX.

It works an an extension of your normal Windows Explorer, therefore the name.

.k.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]