FORUMS: list search recent posts

fix or technique idea?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim
fix or technique idea?
by
on Sep 1, 2005 at 3:10:52 pm

hello im working on a project where a head neads to slowly grow up from nothing I have been using a difference Boolean applied to my head and a cube and am revealing my head by animating the booled cube rising up. BUT this is very slow to work with and my texture is disappering of some of the poly's. any other ideas on how to reveal a head in this manner???

cheers

http://www.scratchpost.com

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: fix or technique idea?
on Sep 1, 2005 at 5:52:42 pm

So, you want the head to be built up as if being 'printed' one thin layer at a time, right? So at any given stage, a flat smooth cross-section of the head is exposed on the upper surface? You don't want it emerging fully-formed out of a flat surface, as if someone pressed their head forwards into a rubber sheet?

I think that a boolean probably is the best way to go for this. Before you use the boolean, make sure you delete history on your objects to speed things up. If you're having texturing problems, maybe you could use projected textures instead of UV-mapped ones--at least until the head has finished emerging.

Good luck.

-Steve

Return to posts index

jim
by
on Sep 2, 2005 at 8:32:45 am

Hi Steve
yeah the printed flat top version is what im after.
the tip on projected textures for the growth might be a good route I will try that out.

thankyou for your help

Jim

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Sep 2, 2005 at 2:16:34 pm

In case your still working on that; thought I would add the usual work with a low poly version of your head and subtract geom and connect there Pos Rot Scale (PRS) to the high res and you will get quick feed back during animation

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]