FORUMS: list search recent posts

New to Maya.. Question about smoothing polygons..

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anodecathode
New to Maya.. Question about smoothing polygons..
on Aug 30, 2005 at 4:01:03 pm

Hi.. I'm new to Maya and I'm stumped on how to smooth out inside of my letter "P" Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've tried "smooth proxy" according to the manual.. but just ended up with a mess.

Here is an image link:

http://trix5.com/show.php/607_MAYA1.jpg

thanks
scott

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: New to Maya.. Question about smoothing polygons..
on Aug 30, 2005 at 4:52:26 pm

Hi, Scott--welcome to the world of Maya.

Your object looks a little strange to me. The verts (and therefore the poly edges) are unevenly spaced; you have two close together, then a gap, then another two close together. Also, you have a high number of divisions along the depth of the letter, when it seems that just one or two polygons would suffice. What method did you use to create, extrude, and bevel this text?

If you haven't already, look into the 'BevelPlus' plugin, which I understand does a very good job with text.

As to your original question... you can use the 'Polygons -> Smooth' to increase your resolution. I recommend you select only the faces in the regions that need more geometry, rather than smoothing the whole object.

Good luck.

-Steve

Return to posts index

anodecathode
on Aug 31, 2005 at 1:51:05 pm

Steve.. Thanks for the info.. I used the Text tool to create the text and the Bevel Plus tool to extrude.. I'm not sure why the geometry is out of wack.. hmm.. I'll have to try again. Is there a good tutorial online concerning this kind of work?

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Aug 31, 2005 at 5:01:23 pm

I don't actually have experience with BevelPlus myself, so I can't recommend anything. I'm sure there are plenty of tutorials out there, though--spend a little while searching the web and hopefully you'll turn up something useful.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Aug 31, 2005 at 5:10:21 pm

HA, luckily I have...

The bevel plus node has controls for how finely to subdivide the text upon creation. If you open the bevelPlus node on your object in the attribute editor there is a rollout section called "Polygon Output Options." There are a plethora of controls for tuning the output text geometry. Curve span is the option you'll want to increase. It will cleanly increase smoothness without having to use the polySmooth tool, which, for cases like this, is like a sledge hammer where you need a tweaser.

Return to posts index

anodecathode
on Aug 31, 2005 at 10:02:48 pm

YES! Thats it..! thank you so much..

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Sep 1, 2005 at 5:04:24 am

Awesome--thanks for picking up my slack, Sean. :)

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]