FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using use background shader with a keyed talent for image plane

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mYthprod
Using use background shader with a keyed talent for image plane
on Aug 25, 2005 at 2:36:16 pm

I'm 3/4 way through the alias rendering book and at one point it offers a tip before going into antoher section:

"The same approach can be used to make a 2D image on an Image Plane look like it is part of a 3D scene. Use the same technique of modeling stand-in geometry. Assign a Use Background shader to the stand-ins. With the stand-in geometry casting shadows and raytraced reflections of other geometry in the 3D scene, it is very convincing."

By this do they mean if you want a talent that's keyed (on an image plane) to cast a shadow, you have to make a duplicate of that person and line them up on the floor and then assign a background shader to them? I use keyed talent quite a bit in my 3D projects and till now I've just faked shadows by making a duplicate of their image plane and rotating them down onto the floor and breaking light links. Could I achieve this easier with the use background shader?

TIA!

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Using use background shader with a keyed talent for image plane
on Aug 25, 2005 at 8:18:11 pm

My guess--and it's just a guess--is that this isn't a technique they're thinking of for keyed talent. I can't imagine it being worthwhile to model stand-in geometry for a moving figure. I imagine they're thinking more along the lines of simple, static object like a toaster or a vase.

But if you can think of a way to make it work for you--then do it!

-Steve

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Aug 25, 2005 at 10:45:48 pm

If I had a keyed talent in a 3D scene and wanted his shadow to cast across geometry, what would be the best way?

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Aug 26, 2005 at 3:36:26 am

Hmm, well, you're using a mask on the transparency of the plane, right? So you should probably be able to use Raytraced Shadows straightforwardly... though of course if the light is coming at a sharp angle, it will be obvious that the shadow is actually being cast by a cutout rather than a solid figure.

Also, don't forget to turn off 'Fake Caustics' if you raytrace shadows. Search these forums for those words if you don't know what I'm talking about; it has come up a few times.

This might be better done in a compositor, too; I'm not terribly experienced with the field, so I couldn't say.

-Steve

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Aug 26, 2005 at 2:10:11 pm

Shadow attenuation in the material's raytrace options. Thank you! :-D I'm glad I wasn't the only one aggravated by this! hehehe

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]