FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mental ray renders are black

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Magnethands
Mental ray renders are black
on Aug 23, 2005 at 5:08:35 pm

I am doing a post-apocalyptic city scene for a short film. Its a huge, ongoing project that evolved out of something I made when I was back in film school. So theres a lot of leftover bad geometry and god knows what other kind of senseless clutter leftover from when I was a student and still learning. I have been systematically cleaning it up, rebuilding where necessary. I am brand new to this forum and this is my first question.

I cannot render with mental ray and I'm totally confused. All the renders come out black. I have 1 ambient light (fill light), 1 directional (sunlight) and a point light (the practical sun). Only the directional light has photons and shadow map on. I wanted more realistic light bouncing cause I have glass buildings and such. I have tried tweaking just about everything I can. Does anyone know what would cause this? What I am forgetting maybe? thanks ppl :) cHEERS!

Return to posts index

Magnethands
this is what script editor says
on Aug 23, 2005 at 5:09:57 pm

// Error: (Mayatomr.Export) : mental ray startup failed with errors //
// Info (Mayatomr): Aborted //

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
Re: this is what script editor says
on Aug 23, 2005 at 9:24:30 pm

check in the output window for more detailed errors. Also open the script editor (windows -> general editors -> script editor) and see if it gives you a more informative error. My first guess is that you have file texture maps that are an incompatable image format. For instance, mental ray cannot read tif image format (for some crazy reason). So those file textures would cause the translation to abort.

One thing you could do is save the file as a new name for debugging purposes. Assign a single lambert shader to all of your geometry and see if it renders. then you can rule out whether its a shading problem or a geometry problem (or something else entirely). Once you find and document all the problems in the debug file jump back to your production file and start applying the fixes.

Return to posts index

Magnethands
good advice but MR still aborting
on Aug 24, 2005 at 4:16:25 pm

The lambert idea was a good one but MR still aborted. I use jpeg textures neways. I tried making an entirely new scene with just a plane, a cone and a spotlight. Just blinns n the like. MR won't render no matter how I have it set up...???

Return to posts index

Jeff
Re: good advice but MR still aborting
by
on Aug 25, 2005 at 6:31:43 pm

I have had MR crash due to empty UV sets. I don't if that helps but thought I'd through it out there.

jeff.:

Return to posts index

Brad Stewart
Re: Mental ray renders are black
on Jan 13, 2011 at 9:48:04 pm

Hello,

I just read your post. I am also creating a post apocolyptic city for a short film. Did you finish yours? Mine is making good progress. If you'd like to lend any assets or discuss how your project went, I'd be happy to talk.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]