FORUMS: list search recent posts

Landscape environments

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stephen flynn
Landscape environments
on Aug 22, 2005 at 5:14:49 pm

Hi

I've recently made the switch from Cinema 4d to Maya and so far the only thing I'm struggling to find the equivelent replacement for is Cinema's infinity plane and background object (useful for placing horizon/sky objects into a scene). I'm also used to environmental fog being attached to cinemas ambient lighting (environment) but haven't found it yet. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Ta

Steve

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
Re: Landscape environments
on Aug 23, 2005 at 1:03:33 am

There isn't an infinite plane in maya, so you'll have to scale geometry up real large.

As for the environment with the maya renderer selected go to render globals and select the maya tab. Expand the Render Options frame. you should see environment fog there. click the texture button next to the text field and it will connect it automatically for you.

Now I can't seem to find an equivilant field on the mental ray render globals but it seems if you connect the environment fog in the maya render globals it renders when you switch to mental ray also.

In mental ray you can map an environment map to the camera (select camera and expand mental ray frame). Then you will have an infinite environment.

Return to posts index

Jon W.
on Aug 23, 2005 at 7:59:30 am

Might also be possible to write a mel script that will somehow create the illusion of an infinite plane... i don't know mel all that well but maybe someone has already written one, check google or highend3d.com

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Aug 23, 2005 at 3:53:15 pm

I suppose if you have maya unlimited you could create an ocean object and apply a normal shader to it. The ocean surface is designed to be infinite to the camera.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]