FORUMS: list search recent posts

Font Management and Conversion

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pyro
Font Management and Conversion
by
on Aug 20, 2005 at 12:40:27 am

Hey Maya Cows. I have a hopefully quick question for you guys. I would have posted elsewhere on Cow about fonts, but I have a feeling Maya folks will know the best answer for this nitty-gritty but important aspect to design and systems in general.

Years ago I bought ATM Deluxe for both Mac and PC and it has worked wonderfully for me. With OS X I now use Suitcase. However, I just built a new Athlon 64 system with WinXP64 and I can't install ATM now. It says ATM is not designed for this OS etc. Can I fool the setup.exe into installing on XP64?

Adobe doesn't have an update for ATM Deluxe. (Nor has it for half a decade!)

If I had to buy a new Font manager application, which do you trust and like the most? Which do you use? I have to deal with a lot of Macintosh fonts as well which are mostly Postscript type 1 and 2. My typical font library I need to access is in excess of thousands of type faces.

I've tried the Crossfont demo, and it looks promising, but I figured you'all may know which of the font managers/converters are the best for the dollar. I lost my Fontographer CDs as well. Is Fontographer still going? Did Adobe buy that too?

For years I have taken font management for granted, but now need your opinions.

Thanks for any info.

Nelson
aka pyro

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
Re: Font Management and Conversion
on Aug 20, 2005 at 5:07:47 am

I think this is an issue with windows XP 64. I have it and there are some driver issues. My scanner, for example, is not compatable with winXP64. If you can,go to standard windowsXP pro until more software is available for 64. If you can't, contact any software company you're thinking about going with and ask whether it will be compatable with windows XP 64.

If you still have a mac around you might be able to serve the fonts to the windows machine, but I don't know much about that.

Return to posts index

r303
Building system too need inspiration
by
on Aug 21, 2005 at 5:24:35 pm

Hey, I know this is out of topic - but then agian. I'm building a new system, my budget is not limited but I have some money though.

I'm thinking PC -dual processor.
And a PNY Quadro 500 (the one with component video).

What motherboard and processor should I go for?

I mainly work with after fx and video editing. I'm also trying to expand my work with maya and combustion.

Daniel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]