FORUMS: list search recent posts

realistic flame

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel
realistic flame
on Aug 9, 2005 at 11:47:52 pm

I'm trying to learn how to have realistic flames move across the surface of an object. When opening the
turbulent flame.ma example in unlimited, I can see how the whole thing is driven by particles emitted from
the surface of a nurbs torus. In the hypergraph three connections extist going from the nurbsTorusShape to
a geo-connector. How would I disconnect those and have them go from a different nurbsShape to the geo-
connector, thereby giving me flames on any nurbs surface?

Thanks,

Daniel

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: realistic flame
on Aug 10, 2005 at 12:13:48 am

You can use the Connection Editor to do this. Load up the new NURBS shape on the left, and the geoConnector on the right, and make the appropriate connections. You can figure out what attributes need to be connected by mousing over the original ones, from the torus, in the Hypergraph.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Daniel
on Aug 10, 2005 at 5:04:00 pm

Thank you Steve. It works... Any hints on how to control the movement of the flame across
surfaces?

Thanks again,

Daniel

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Aug 10, 2005 at 5:27:20 pm

One strategy would be to use a texture to control the emission rate of the particles. Look for the heading 'Using a texture to color emission or scale the rate' in your Dynamics manual.

If you animate the texture, then the pattern of emission will change over time, and this can make the flames spread. You could create an image sequence to use as the texture, or you could use a procedural texture and animate some of its attributes over time.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Daniel
on Aug 11, 2005 at 3:04:12 am

Thanks again, that sounds like the right way... One problem:
One of the output connections to be changed is NurbsShape.local.
I can't find this parameter on Nurbs objects I create... I can find the input
on the geoconnector and all other connections...

Daniel

Return to posts index

Daniel
on Aug 11, 2005 at 3:45:08 am

Also the flame doesn't seem to attach to a more complex nurbs objects surface...

How do I do this right?

Daniel

Return to posts index

Daniel
on Aug 11, 2005 at 4:04:21 am

The FluidEmitter is parented to the Nurbs torus. Unparenting it and parenting it to another object doesn't do the trick...

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Aug 11, 2005 at 3:34:46 pm

Hmmm, so it's not as simple as that? Drat.

Unfortunately I don't have Maya Fluids--I'm working with an older version of Maya--so I can't explore the details of the node system. Hopefully someone else will have a suggestion.

I know that for particles, you can select a set of particles and an object and choose an 'Emit from object' command. Perhaps there is something similar for the fluid-based fire?

Good luck, sorry I can't be of more help.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Ryan Donaldson
on Apr 19, 2011 at 12:15:35 pm

Hi,
I am wanting to do the same, connect the turbulent flame to my own nurb. Can you please tell me, what are the 'appropriate connections' ? There are a load and I can't find how anywhere else online.

Cheers,
Ryan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]