FORUMS: list search recent posts

What kind of graphic card do I need to use Maya?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spiderfilms
What kind of graphic card do I need to use Maya?
on Aug 8, 2005 at 3:55:17 pm

I am trying to learn maya most for simples animations of texts for combining with video (at least for start) and recently installed Maya 7 on my humble Athlon xp 3000 with 500 ram, but when the program is about to start comes a window saying that my card doesn't support hardware rendering. Pixel shading extensions insufficient. and shuts down the program wich never gets to start, I was reading the requeriments on the alias site ant they have a few cards that works with it and says that no one geforce will work (not quilified) the question is , I cant use this program with a normal gaming card, they put some models there I can

Return to posts index

Spiderfilms
Re: What kind of graphic card do I need to use Maya?
on Aug 8, 2005 at 3:58:11 pm

by the way I have an old graphic card SIS 315 128 mb, so far have worked with everithing I have try, like Liquid edition 6.1 editing software, wich was suposed to need a powerfull graphic card, but I guess my little card found a big wall on its road.

Return to posts index

Thomas Rydberg
on Aug 8, 2005 at 6:10:57 pm

There's a list of qualified graphics cards here:

http://www.alias.com/eng/support/maya/qualified_hardware/QUAL/maya_70_win.h...

- Tom

Return to posts index

Spiderfilms
on Aug 8, 2005 at 6:45:28 pm

so the only way to use maya is with one of these 19 cards? I was hoping it at least the program starts and then if the task is too hard would say ok, you cant because of your card, but are you saying it wont open or just wont be good enough for some tasks, thanks.

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Aug 8, 2005 at 7:07:12 pm

these cards are the ideal cards that maya runs on. you can run it on gaming cards, but you may have glitches in the UI display.

Return to posts index

Spiderfilms
on Aug 8, 2005 at 9:58:13 pm

ok Chad, that is what I wanted to know, because I would not like to play for a new 256mb gaming card and that the program do not start, I supose that for use it with not complex animations like some text flying arround or a logo would be enough a good gaming card.

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on Aug 12, 2005 at 7:22:02 pm

I have a card not on the list and it works fine (Matrox Parhelia). You're probably ok. You may not get the best or ideal results but, then again, you may not even notice an issue. It will depend on what you're producing. Test it with PLE before you go any further tho.

Return to posts index

Thomas Rydberg
on Aug 10, 2005 at 11:27:25 pm

Your card may still work. You'll probably need to test it out and see what happens. I don't think Maya polices the cards it works with -- those 19 happen to be tested and certified to work is all. If you haven't purchased Maya, maybe download the free PLE version and test it out with your card.

For unqualified cards, strange graphics issues may occur.

- Tom

Return to posts index

Frederic Djoenaedi
on Aug 16, 2005 at 5:43:07 pm

I am in the same boat as you. However I have been using maya now for a couple years. I originally bought a 3DLabs card 4years ago to use with maya, shelled out alot of money for it too. but I don't think I got a thousand dollars worth out of it :P now I'm building my new system and I ALMOST got the nVidia GeForce6600GT chipset thinking that "good enough for the new games, good enough for just me and maya" but maya doesn't recomend GeForce. so to avoid any conflict with maya later on, I settled on the ATI FireGL v3200. I wanted the v3100 (cheaper) but it doesn't have video out which I need 'cause I do video editing as well.

if you're looking for a low budget card, you might consider the Wildcat VP760 (not on the list for maya 7 but will be fine)
http://www.3dlabs.com/products/product.asp?prod=266

however I found that it's actually pretty old, yet probably still enough for you, maybe. if you want to shell out a bit more then go for it. but try to stay with what Alias recomends just to be safe. You don't want to be doing a nice model in a cool environment you spent a bunch of time working on with particles coming out the wazoo and then it all disapears because your vid card just can't handle it. and you can easily do that when you're learning... especially when you're learning, you want try everything and put everything in one 'crazy cool scene'.

Also as you mentioned before, there is only 19 cards listed, you can go look at what cards were tested with previous versions of Maya. They won't be as recent however they'll work.

Just be careful if you need AGP or PCI-E...

do some shopping and then post back what you're thinking about getting. get people's reaction.

good luck!

.Frederic.
TorontoMassive

Return to posts index

spiderfilms
on Aug 22, 2005 at 5:28:58 pm

Hello guys again, after doing my homework searching I found a thead on the CGSociety forum (computer generated society wich cost $30 anual being member), wich tell how to softmod a ATI 9800PRO card to a FireGL X2 card (wich is recomended by Alias) I found it interesting since it icreases the performance of the Open GL aplications like maya and after seeing comparations of benchmarks and a lot of people trying it and seemed working, I went for an ATI RADEON 9800PRO, wich is a 256 bit graphic card, basically the article says how to convert a 9500 to 9800 series card to its equivalent in the FireGL, I did it and works pretty well, so for those who have a 9500 and up card (also the X800 wich can be modified to FireGL X3) wil ger a big leap and may safe some hundreds, here is the link:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=227800

PD: there is awesome works posted there on that site, worth a look anyway.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]