FORUMS: list search recent posts

layer stacking order problem

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
boot_knocker
layer stacking order problem
on Aug 5, 2005 at 6:26:08 pm

I'm having a problem with the way maya displays overlapping layers.
I have an animatic with a guy holding some cocktails. I want some reflections on the cocktail, and so i've created a layer slightly in front of the cockatils with the reflections on it.. (there are all 2d layer planes BTW). So when i'm doing a camera move.. or just moving around in the space, my reflection layer blinks on and off... as if maya is confused about the stacking order of the layer.. i thought i might need to set the tesselation higher for the problem layers, but that doesn't seem to help.. I'm sure it will be fine when i render, but it's really annoying for playblasts and just working in general... any one know how to fix this?

the clip is here:
http://tinyurl.com/9sua5

thanks

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
Re: layer stacking order problem
on Aug 5, 2005 at 7:23:32 pm

have you tried moving it up front a little more. Depending on how close it is to the back layer it still may do that. Does it have a experssion on it where it's always facing the camera?

Return to posts index

boot_knocker
on Aug 5, 2005 at 9:22:55 pm

> have you tried moving it up front a little more. Depending on how clos > it is to the back layer it still may do that. Does it have a experssion > on it where it's always facing the camera?

i'd understand if it was at the exact same depth of the second layer, but if you look at this clip:

http://tinyurl.com/cbapo

..you'll see it's set off from the second layer. I assume its an issue with the way Maya uses the GPU to do the hardware rendering... i was thinking there's some setting somewhere that tells Maya how many decimal places to go when checking the depth of an object (to determine stacking order)..

..and no there are no expressions or keys on this layer...

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Aug 8, 2005 at 4:05:09 pm

What video card are you using?

-Steve

Return to posts index

boot_knocker
on Aug 10, 2005 at 1:03:34 am

GeForce FX 5200 ?

Return to posts index

boot_knocker
on Aug 10, 2005 at 1:04:05 am

i suppose i should mention i'm on a mac.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Aug 10, 2005 at 1:34:45 am

I've experienced the same 'layering' problem myself when working on a GeForce. I never did find a solution, sorry.

Unfortunately, I think this is just a property of the card. You'll notice that Alias recommends against using any GeForce model:

http://www.alias.com/eng/support/maya/qualified_hardware/QUAL/maya_65_win.h...

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]