FORUMS: list search recent posts

Impossible lofting, Extruding.???

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank
Impossible lofting, Extruding.???
on Aug 5, 2005 at 2:08:04 pm

How can I; Loft between two surfaces/ Extrude a surface so that it is proportionally smaller (or bigger) than the starting curve. ex: Bevel the letter A or R and most of the time it gives you a completely distorted mesh.

Return to posts index

anthonymcgrath
Re: Impossible lofting, Extruding.???
on Aug 5, 2005 at 2:19:22 pm

I think you can select the curve (ie a letter) and use the offset curve command to create a new curve thats smaller or larger than the original one.

as far as bevelling goes - I usually bevel edges and not the object to ensure decent results.

Return to posts index

Frank
That's where the misery begins.
on Aug 5, 2005 at 2:40:04 pm

When you do that the problems start happening; The curves don't have the same vertices anymore and so they don't match up when you Loft or Birail them.

Return to posts index

anthonymcgrath
Re: That's where the misery begins.
on Aug 5, 2005 at 2:49:29 pm

what end result are you trying to achieve? are you creating bevelled letters (its mentioned in your initial post-up) ? if so the bevelplus tool takes care of most bevelling and wotnot

sorry if I'm sounding like I'm making you suck eggs there - just not sure what end result you want?

Return to posts index

Frank
on Aug 5, 2005 at 2:58:25 pm

Thanks. No Sweat.
I'm making a steel door where letter's have been printed/slammed into the surface.

I've had this problem before though; Lofting between curves that have been modified (IE: offset) seem to always get ditorted. I feel like an idiot for not being able to figure this one out.

Return to posts index

anthonymcgrath
on Aug 5, 2005 at 3:12:29 pm

could you not use a displacement map on the polygon face (assumption that its polys there!) to displace the surface? Afterward you could use displacement-to-polyons to turn the displace map into a polygon surface?
just thinkin on my feet here for you :)
ant

Return to posts index

anthonymcgrath
failing that...
on Aug 5, 2005 at 3:15:12 pm

you could try using a boolean - again - poly solution but creating your 3d text and chopping it out of your flat steel surface might get good initial results. you can then select the face thats in the surface and use polygon extrude's offset command to get a slight bevel on the inside of the face?

ant

Return to posts index

Frank
Great workaround. You rock!
on Aug 5, 2005 at 3:31:37 pm

Doesn't solve the nurbs 'thing' but thanks a bunch. I'll do that.

Return to posts index

anthonymcgrath
Re: Great workaround. You rock!
on Aug 5, 2005 at 3:33:06 pm

its worth doing man - mental rays displacement is really good so you could create your indented text that way :)

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Aug 10, 2005 at 3:25:24 pm

Offset Curve Works properly. Like 99% of Maya; the right settings in each command/tool need to be declared. Mainly the 1 in question is "Max Subdivision Density", when this = 0, no additional knots/CV's are placed to maintain curvature, yet at times to reproduce proper curvature, extra CV's are req'd. I recommend setting this to 0.

Also turn on Loop cutting for convex curve intersection trimming.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Aug 10, 2005 at 3:38:16 pm

Take that back...:(

Having a hard time with offset curve right now, I'll let you know when I figure it out again, it's been a while.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]