FORUMS: list search recent posts

Orthographic Views section of directional light in AE

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mYthprod
Orthographic Views section of directional light in AE
on Jul 22, 2005 at 3:11:03 pm

I'm still in a section of depth map shadows in my book and it says the following:

To determine the value to use as the dmap width focus, look through the selected directional light and track and zoom until the shadow casting objects are closely bounded by the view. Open the camera AE for the "look through" camera. Under the Orthographic Views section, the Orthographic Width is the value you should use as the dmap width focus on the light.

I can't find the Orthographic views section for my directional light. Anyone know where it is? Am I overlooking the obvious?

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Orthographic Views section of directional light in AE
on Jul 22, 2005 at 4:47:57 pm

Ah, this is a good one. It will make you say 'd'oh!'

You have to read veeeerrrrry carefully. Notice that it doesn't say 'Open the camera AE for the directional light.' Instead, it says 'Open the camera AE for the "look through" camera.'

When you select Panel -> Look Through Selected, a temporary 'look through' camera node is created. That is the node with the 'Orthographic Views' section in the AE. It shows up as a new tab on the top of your attribute editor when you activate the panel, probably between 'directionalLightShape#' and 'defaultLightSet'.

D'oh!

-Steve

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Jul 22, 2005 at 5:12:11 pm

Ahhhh, thanks guys! Tricky tricky.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Jul 22, 2005 at 4:57:56 pm

Yeah that description is a little misleading. You should open the AE and look at the camera which is parented to the light. It should show up as a tab in the AE if you have the light selected. This shows you the width of the camera's view when it's in orthographic mode. Which translates to the shadow focus width exactly for directional lights.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]