FORUMS: list search recent posts

i want to learn maya so...

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
albert
i want to learn maya so...
on Jul 19, 2005 at 6:56:00 pm

what, how and where is the best place to learn. i'm a compositor with 4 years experience and would like to learn Maya. i'm not patient enough to sit there with a book. i already did that with most of the software i know. so any recommendations would be great. thanks.

Return to posts index

Saeed Faridzadeh
Re: i want to learn maya so...
on Jul 19, 2005 at 8:13:16 pm

Try looking into the Gnomon DVDs. They are a little pricy, but well worth it in my opinion.

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on Jul 19, 2005 at 9:00:08 pm

Alias sells a lot of training material as well. I use the dvd's, books, and the 'hands on' approach. That works best for me. Unfortunately, this ain't the Matrix where you can download the data directly to your brain. That'd be my option.

Return to posts index

Tom
by
on Jul 20, 2005 at 3:48:28 am

Try this:

http://www.digitaltutors.com/digital_tutors/index.php

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Jul 21, 2005 at 4:31:21 am

Well I would recommend a book but not for the book's pages but the accompanying CD. The Maya fundamentals books by Jim Lammers are excellent. He includes good-quality tutorials (usually in windows media or quicktime) going through tutorials step-by-step. They're very newbie friendly. After that I would recommend the alias books. I have some of the gnomon DVDs but don't seem to get much out of them as (at least their earlier ones) were more made to be watched (and forgotten) rather than followed along with.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

Saeed Faridzadeh
on Jul 21, 2005 at 7:34:46 am

I actually didn't find Maya Fundementals to be very helpful actually. The book is written in a very rigid manner and doesn't allow for much of an artistic feel. The videos author follows the tutorials WORD for WORD. Very mechanical. The book even has some errors and isn't very well written out. The video speaker gets confused at one point, and tries to figure out what the author is trying to say. I would say skip this book. But that is my honest opinion.

The Gnomon DVDs are great, and at a first viewing a lot might go over your head. I've found after going over some other step by step tutorials (such as from Simply-Maya, or Digital Tutors) have I found the Gnomons DVDs to have more value, now that I actually understand how the tools work.

Return to posts index

Jeff
by
on Jul 21, 2005 at 5:46:20 pm

I would just say be careful about the gnomon DVD's. I bought 2, of which I have watched 1. It was a materials DVD and all it really did was explain the hypershade - nothing hands on. I thought it sucked. I'm hoping the particles one is better.

I did however get a fluids DVD from Alias which I thought was good.

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Jul 21, 2005 at 9:40:53 pm

I found I liked the gnomon DVDs when I knew more what I was doing because a lot of the times they're going a bit too fast to call it "instructional". Sometimes you just get the feeling that they want to show you how fast they can go. :-P

Return to posts index

Saeed Faridzadeh
on Jul 22, 2005 at 12:23:23 am

My thoughts exactly. For learning it can be a bit overwhealming. But once you have a fair grasp of it, then they turn out to much more helpful.

Return to posts index

anthonymcgrath
on Aug 5, 2005 at 4:12:56 pm

I've found that the best way is just to absorb as much as possible from wherever - maybe pay someone to give you some 1to1 tuition but the way I've got thru it is via reading mostly - all the many forums such as the cow here with endless hordes of info. I've no patience for reading either but when I realise I'm learning something new I'll soak it up like a sponge! :D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]