FORUMS: list search recent posts

creating a renderable annotation in maya

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anthonymcgrath
creating a renderable annotation in maya
on Jul 19, 2005 at 12:15:23 pm

hey guys,
I've got a series of annotations off my models that I'd like to create renderable versions of them.
The nice thing about annotations is the way the text stays the same size in relation to cam distance and that little arrow points at the object all the time. Can anyone give me a quick runthrough on creating one? I'm guessing constraints to the camera but every constrained object I've done has made a pigs ear of it hehe!
cheers in advance guys
ant

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
Re: creating a renderable annotation in maya
on Jul 19, 2005 at 4:39:22 pm

how about parenting a grouping of text objects to the camera. No constraining necessary.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Jul 19, 2005 at 4:47:12 pm

Hi, Anthony.

No need to mess around with constraints right from the get-go. Just take your annotation object and parent it under your camera. Zero its rotation and it should appear nice and flat in the view. You can set it to the depth, scale, and screen position you like, and then just leave it there. (Don't forget to make your camera visible: child objects inherit the visibility of their parents.)

The arrow gets a bit trickier, depending on how picky you are about its appearance. Again, you'd want to start with an object parented under your camera. A 3D arrow (cylinder and cone) which was then Aim-Constrained to the object in question would do the trick, but you might not like the behaviour of it. Hmmm. A couple of PF/X strokes might do it--if you check the 'Screenspace Width' attribute, they will appear to be 2D instead of 3D, because they won't foreshorten. That might fit the 'HUD' feel of your annotation better.

There are plenty of other possibilities. Write again if you need more help.

Good luck!

-Steve

Return to posts index

anthonymcgrath
on Jul 19, 2005 at 5:03:14 pm

thanks for these approaches guys - I never thought about parenting to the cam and using the aim constraint to point back to the object.
I like the sound of the pfx method really as I'd like to keep the lines 2d :D

thanks guys - I'll try these out

ant

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]