FORUMS: list search recent posts

compositing shadows from hair (or anything else)

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Connell
compositing shadows from hair (or anything else)
on Jul 13, 2005 at 3:58:07 am

I've got hair from one scene that I want to composit onto a figure rendered from another.

I have a proxy figure in the hair scene with a use background shader on him, I've got render passes set up to separate out the hair from the shadows it casts.

Problem is:
The shadow doesn't touch the edge of the mesh, ie any polys facing away from the light don't read the shadow.

In the beauty pass everything looks fine, but if I add the colour and shadow passes together in afterfx, it looks quite different, and worse.

I'm fairly new to all this, what's the trick?

thanks

Daniel.

Return to posts index

anthonymcgrath
Re: compositing shadows from hair (or anything else)
on Jul 19, 2005 at 12:19:19 pm

hmmm if your pulling in a shadow pass in afx and putting it over your beauty pass have you tried applying the effect/channel "remove colour matting" - this might get rid of some of the pixels that are making it look different - its often the reason alot of motion blurred 3d renders against a black bg often pull that black bleeding into the blurred areas - that plugin removes it all.
not really sure I had a good idea of what your trying to do but if its looking different in afx this might just be the cause :)
good luck mate
ant

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]