FORUMS: list search recent posts

compositing shadows from hair (or anything else)

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Connell
compositing shadows from hair (or anything else)
on Jul 13, 2005 at 3:58:07 am

I've got hair from one scene that I want to composit onto a figure rendered from another.

I have a proxy figure in the hair scene with a use background shader on him, I've got render passes set up to separate out the hair from the shadows it casts.

Problem is:
The shadow doesn't touch the edge of the mesh, ie any polys facing away from the light don't read the shadow.

In the beauty pass everything looks fine, but if I add the colour and shadow passes together in afterfx, it looks quite different, and worse.

I'm fairly new to all this, what's the trick?

Return to posts index

Re: compositing shadows from hair (or anything else)
on Jul 19, 2005 at 12:19:19 pm

hmmm if your pulling in a shadow pass in afx and putting it over your beauty pass have you tried applying the effect/channel "remove colour matting" - this might get rid of some of the pixels that are making it look different - its often the reason alot of motion blurred 3d renders against a black bg often pull that black bleeding into the blurred areas - that plugin removes it all.
not really sure I had a good idea of what your trying to do but if its looking different in afx this might just be the cause :)
good luck mate

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved