How big should I make my objects?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
r303
How big should I make my objects?
by
on Jul 11, 2005 at 10:37:48 am

Hi,

I'm working on a 3D animation for a shortfilm I'm producing. In that short an elevatorshaft apears and
we'll fly from the bottom to the top in it.

It will end at the top where tou see the cables and wires, wheels and electronics.

Now when I'm modeling my objects how big should I make them?
I know how big to make them in relation to each other, but do I get a different result acording to how big the objects are?
Or are the units just a reference and really has no influence on quality and resoulution?

Daniel Martinez

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
Re: How big should I make my objects?
on Jul 11, 2005 at 4:23:42 pm

the units are for reference and relation. They don't have a direct affect on how something will appear in the end product. Your lighting settings may be different when using decay since that takes distance into account, but if you made it at 5 units or made it at 500 units, you wouldn't feel a difference.

There are adverse affects to making things extrememly large in that the camera clipping planes have trouble keeping up (both orthographic and perspective). It is easy to accomidate by expanding the clipping planes, but it is something annoying you'll have to deal with.

Return to posts index

r303
by
on Jul 11, 2005 at 7:44:28 pm

Thank you.

It is as I was thinking, then. Thank you.

Daniel Martinez.

Return to posts index

Frank
on Jul 12, 2005 at 5:18:09 pm

I read somewhere (killer tips - I think) thant Maya is like a industrial designer that focuses on toasters to small cars.
In other words; If you work roughly on the scale of a toaster you shouldn't have any problems with clipping planes, perspectives or default light settings.

Return to posts index

anthonymcgrath
on Jul 19, 2005 at 1:30:58 pm

as a kind of rule of thumb I try to create everything I build in relation to a character that I'd build. for example if I build a (admittedly tall) woman at 180cm then I'll build a toaster in relation to her - might mean a bit of tweaking cam clip planes but its worth it when I want to import something thats rigged and using lots of constraint nonsense into another scene. then I dont have to faff on scaling and messing bits up :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]