FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dual Core Opteron or Dual Xeons??

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Fennell
Dual Core Opteron or Dual Xeons??
on Jul 5, 2005 at 4:37:45 pm

I'm researching computers since I may make a new purchase soon and wanted to get some second opinions.

I'm looking between:

Dual Opteron 270's (dual-core 2.0 GHz)

and

Dual Xeon (800 FSB - 3.6 GHz NOT dual core)

Currently I do a lot of rendering and render testing so I'm interested in lotsa proc/clock speed. The dual opteron dual core is more expensive and will give a theoretical 8 GHz multi-threaded clock speed, however I figure a more realistic number is about 7.5-7.8 GHz. It would also be 64bit compatable for future applications.

Now the dual Xeons would be a theoretical 7.2 GHz but aren't 64bit. This system is about $500 less and I'm getting almost the same processing power in two physical threads that I would be getting from 4 physical threads in the configuration above. I'm not evaluating the Xeons based on hyperthreading functionality because that isn't a true physical thread.

So I'd love to hear opinion and fact and any conjecture based on these configurations regarding highest render speed advantage.

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
Re: Dual Core Opteron or Dual Xeons??
on Jul 5, 2005 at 9:21:07 pm

Sean-
I can't vouch for the dual cores, but i've bought nothing but dual AMD's opterons for the past year and half, and they have all worked great. The only thing to be mindfull of is power supplies, as these babys are heavy duty.
-Chad

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
Re: Dual Core Opteron or Dual Xeons??
on Jul 5, 2005 at 9:42:58 pm

Thats someting I thought of while looking at benchmarks. It looks like the dual-core opterons operate at about 75%-88% the power consumption that xeons do, and thats for dual core tests. So the opterons are still far more power efficient at full load than pentiums are. I figure if I get a 550 watt I'll have some head room.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]